Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari 8 Downloads window doesn't expand.

The Downloads popup window that's opened by clicking the Downloads button at top right used to expand each time a new consecutive download was initiated, i.e. you could see all consecutive downloads at once. This was useful. Now (as of v.8, I think) it expands when a second download is initiated, but after that, a third (and subsequent) download doesn't expand the window, but adds a scroll bar so that no more than two consecutive downloads can be seen at once. This is less useful than it used to be.

Is this just another example of Apple generally dumbing down the Mac side of things, or have I missed something?

Thanks in advance,

Steve = : ^ )

OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), Windows XP & 8.1 in Parallels 10

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 12:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 6:33 AM

Send Apple feedback. They won't answer, but at least will know there is a problem. If enough people send feedback, it may get the problem solved sooner.

Feedback

8 replies

Aug 3, 2015 4:21 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Thanks for the reply, but I don't want to open a Finder window. I want to stay in Safari and watch my downloads progress, like I used to be able to, and like I'm still able to if I restrict myself to no more than two simultaneous downloads. Opening a Finder window with hundreds of files in it if hardly the same experience.

Aug 3, 2015 5:47 PM in response to Erroll

Out of curiosity, why do you keep all those downloads which include installers that take up storage space on your Mac? if you need to re download an item best to get a fresh installer from the website, not use an old one from your Downloads folder.

BTW, if you have Flash installed ...

Flash is not safe to use anymore > http://www.cnet.com/news/gone-in-a-flash-facebook-says-adobes-plug-in-is-a-secur ity-risk-no-longer-worth-taking/

Better to use HTML 5 > how to force HTML5 video?

Uninstall Flash > Uninstall Flash Player | Mac OS

Aug 3, 2015 6:03 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Carolyn Samit wrote:

Out of curiosity, why do you keep all those downloads which include installers that take up storage space on your Mac? if you need to re download an item best to get a fresh installer from the website, not use an old one from your Downloads folder.

Carolyn Samit wrote:

Thanks again. I don't 'keep' all those downloads, the OS keeps them. They're downloaded to my Downloads folder and stay there indefinitely unless I empty it. I don't go looking there for installers etc. Always download new ones. My 1TB fusion drive currently has less than 300MB of data on it so space isn't an issue.

Aug 3, 2015 6:06 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Carolyn Samit wrote:

BTW, if you have Flash installed ...

Flash is not safe to use anymore > http://www.cnet.com/news/gone-in-a-flash-facebook-says-adobes-plug-in-is-a-secur ity-risk-no-longer-worth-taking/

Better to use HTML 5 > how to force HTML5 video?

Uninstall Flash > Uninstall Flash Player | Mac OS

I had previously uninstalled Flash and was using ClickToPlugin to force HTML5 playback, but ran into a website that wouldn't load properly with it and, as I needed to visit the site, I had to reinstall Flash. One of the posters in the thread you link to likewise found some content wouldn't play without Flash installed. I might give ClickToPlugin another run ...

thanks again,

Safari 8 Downloads window doesn't expand.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.