Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What happens when a stolen iPhone receives the secure verification code by SMS?

What happens when a stolen iPhone receives the secure verification code by SMS? My iphone got stolen and my Apple account got hacked into so they were able to unlock the phone and resell on the market. I am unsure whether to use the two-step verification process because it doesn't seem any safer. Anyone have any other suggestions?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.2

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 12:33 AM

2 replies

Aug 3, 2015 6:47 AM in response to tmd2015

If your iPhone has a passcode on it then the verification code will not show up until the passcode is entered. A notice comes up that says:

Apple ID Verification

Unlock to view your verification code.

Therefore if your device is stolen and it is passcode protected, a thief wouldn't be able to receive the SMS code to hack into your account.

What happens when a stolen iPhone receives the secure verification code by SMS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.