Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail on iPad

How do I create Folders for Mail on my iPad?

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 8.4

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 3:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 3:52 AM

If you go to your email account in the Mail app and look at the window where your inbox, trash folder and sent folder are - if there is an Edit button at the top of the window - tap that and then tap Add Mailbox at the bottom.

If the Edit button is not there - you cannot create folders on the iPad. Your email account is not IMAP. Only IMAP email accounts can create folders on the iPad. Any folders that you would already have in an IMAP account would have synced to the device when you created the account on the iPad.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 3, 2015 3:52 AM in response to Manxdove

If you go to your email account in the Mail app and look at the window where your inbox, trash folder and sent folder are - if there is an Edit button at the top of the window - tap that and then tap Add Mailbox at the bottom.

If the Edit button is not there - you cannot create folders on the iPad. Your email account is not IMAP. Only IMAP email accounts can create folders on the iPad. Any folders that you would already have in an IMAP account would have synced to the device when you created the account on the iPad.

Aug 3, 2015 9:17 AM in response to Manxdove

No, that's not possible. The way that the iPac mail app works is a good bit different than the Mac Mail client.

I have some folders on my Mac in a POP account and those folders are only for local storage on the Mac. They will not sync to the iPad, because the account is not an IMAP account. If your email account was IMAP, those folders would have already appeared on the iPad when you set the account up the first time.

Aug 4, 2015 5:42 AM in response to Demo

My email account is an IMAP one and I can access those 'folders/mailboxes' on my iPad. As I travel a lot and i only take the iPad with me I was hoping to be able to sync the 'filing' of my emails with the system I use on my MacBook Mail. From what you say this appears to be impossible . Apple please sort this out!! - I know I am not the only person I know who would like this facility.

THanks for for your help Demo

Mail on iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.