Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't delete files with .git ?

Hi,

I wanted to use icloud to hold my files, so I put a directory in my icloud drive folder on my mac.

It got uploaded to icloud properly.

Then I deleted the directory locally.

But the files where still in the cloud and couldn't delete them.

There are 2 problems it seems:

1) You can't delete directory with lots of sub dirs and files. I had to delete them by 50 from the web interface at icloud.com. Is this a know problem ? I see messages about that. Is it a "feature" or a bug ? Will it ever be fixed .?

2) I couldn't delete directories with a .git file. I had these because I put a developement directory in icloud drive. Again, is this a known issue ?

Cordially

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 3:32 AM

4 replies

Aug 4, 2015 11:29 AM in response to Molin

The iCloud drive is designed to sync files to all devices logged into the same iCloud account and have the iCloud drive enabled so they can be used by those devices. Any file added to the iCD is mirrored on the hard drive of all devices. It is not designed as stand alone storage.

If you delete a file from the local device it gets deleted from the iCD. Close your browser, open it and clear its cache ((Command+Option+E for Safari). Go back to the iCloud.com site and see if that folder is still there.

User uploaded file

Aug 5, 2015 2:33 AM in response to Old Toad

Hi, I'm well aware of all that.

The files I put on icloud drive were xcode files of iOS apps I'm developing. I was hopping to be able to access up to date file from both my macbook pro and imac. I don't think this is an extraordinary usage of icloud storage is it ?

Still, I got this bug where files couldn't be delete because apparently, .git files prevented that.

It's not related to browser cache, as I could see these files from totally different machines, including an iphone.

So apparently this is an unknown bug and I should report it to apple.

Can't delete files with .git ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.