Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

error when backing up photos library on external drive

"The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in “Photos Library” can’t be read or written.

(Error code -36)"

I'm getting this error message within 25mb of completing the back up (about 75gig). At least when I was backing up my iTunes, it told me which files were causing the trouble.

Any idea what could be causing it? I have to get my hard drive in my iMac replaced as part of the repair program Apple is offering and I have to wipe my hard disk before giving it to them. So I want to not only have a T-M back up, but an extra back up just in case there is trouble...

Thanks.

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 6:22 AM

2 replies

Aug 3, 2015 3:43 PM in response to LarryHN

Larry,

Thanks for the reply.

I tried it on two different EHDs and both are formatted for Mac OS X journaled extended or whatever it's called. BUT...

after some more internet investigating I think I've found the answer(s)...

How to Resolve Error 36 in OS X Finder with dot_clean

To use dot_clean, you’ll want to point it at the directory which is being copied and throwing the Error Code 36, the basics look like this:

• Launch the Terminal (found in /Applications/Utilities/ or with Spotlight)
  • At the command prompt, type:
  • dot_clean /Path/To/Directory/With/Problem/

When dot_clean is finished, attempt the file copy again and it should succeed with no error code

For example, if copying ~/Documents/FileBackups/ is the problematic directory, use:

dot_clean ~/Documents/FileBackups/

That should be all that is necessary to resolve the issue, just be sure to attempt the file/directory transfer immediately after the command is run.

OR

Then copy your iPhoto Library to an external drive, with the ignore ownership flag set.

See this document: iPhoto: Sharing libraries among multiple users

The external drive needs to be formatted MacOS Extended (Journaled). And it needs to be writable, so no Blue ray.

Making the detour via an external drive with ignore ownership flag will make it possible to copy the library from one user account to another with different user names.

OR

I found the offending files in "photos" which was any file with a "." in the prefix (I use a lot of pics I find on the net for work and sometimes forget to rename them)

So now I'm about to try and do the transfer again. I will post back here after I finish for the sake of clarity in case anybody has this problem in the future.

error when backing up photos library on external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
    A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.