Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final Cut Pro X Won't Complete Video Render

I have the simplest video I need to export ("share"). It began as 63 still images with a cross dissolve between each one. Can't get more simple than that. I've been trying to export it so it will burn onto a DVD and play in the typical DVD player. When I try end export to DVD, or to Master File, the export reaches a percentage and hangs. Sometimes it's 50%. The latest is 16%. I've been at this for hours, scouring the internet for solutions. I've reinstalled FCPX. I've re-exported the images from PhotoShop and started fresh with event/project after event/project. Can't make it export. I've even reduced the super-complexity of the movie to one single image, and it still won't deliver. There is no error message... nothing. Just reaches a percentage and hangs. I've disabled App Nap on FCP, still no luck.

The still image being imported is a jpg.

Project Video Properties are: 1080p HD; 1920x1080; Rate: 23.98p

There is no audio

Export Settings are:

Format: Video Only

Video Codec: H.264

Resolution: 1920x1080

I'm on a tight deadline with this project, so any help would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks.

Cayce

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), 2011 27" iMac

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 4:26 AM

11 replies

Aug 3, 2015 4:42 AM in response to Cayce

Cayce wrote:

I I've been trying to export it so it will burn onto a DVD and play in the typical DVD player.

I'm not entirely sure what you've tried.

DVD's standards are standard definition, 720X480 in NRSC regions. That is what the FCP Share>DVD produces - in MPEG2 format.

A 1080 H.264 video does not conform with those standards.

So try this: create a new library, event and project. Edit your JPEG into the project. Insert you blank disk into your burner. Share>DVD.

Russ

Aug 3, 2015 5:24 AM in response to Russ H

Thank you for getting back to me, Russ.

As for what I've tried, seems like pretty much everything. I'm attaching two images here to show my project settings and my export settings. When I tried again using these, FCP still hangs. What's interesating, though, is that every time it hangs, it stops at a percentage shorter than the one before. I'm down to it hanging at 4% now. It started at 50% earlier.

Thanks again for your help.

Here are those images:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Aug 3, 2015 5:43 AM in response to Cayce

Here's what I' suggest,

Quit FCP. Hold down the option and command keys when you relaunch.

You will get a brand new library. In Preferences, deselect Background Rendering. Navigate from File>Open Library?Other to find your working library. Open the working library. Select the working library's icon and from the File menu, Delete Generated Library files. Check everything in the dialog and delete it. Select the project icon and Share>DVD. With Output Device set to Hard Drive, you should get a disk image that you can burn from Disk Utility.

Russ

Aug 3, 2015 6:05 AM in response to Russ H

Did all that. Hoped it would work. Started a fresh export, watched it climb to 50% and hang. That's the magic number: 50%.

I started this yesterday evening. I'm into my fifth hour of trying to get FCPX to export a simple slide show to DVD.

I've been using Macs and some of the most sophisticated, complex audio & graphics software since 1992, but I've never encountered this kind of absurd nonsense in the 23 years I've been in this environment. This is preposterous, to be stuck this way.

Sorry for my frustration, but it's starting to look like I'm going to miss the deadline on this job, due to FCPX stupidity.

Aug 3, 2015 6:44 AM in response to Cayce

Understand; not taken personally.

Just double-checking

that you turned off BG Rendering in Preferences and deleted all render files.

that after doing that other export settings fail as well (e.g., Master File)

that it makes no difference whether you export from the working library/project or a new one.

If that is the case, create a new user account and try running FCP{ from thatDo your one clip test. If it works with that it should work for the full project.

Russ

Aug 3, 2015 2:21 PM in response to Cayce

Russ has thick skin, he'll live.

This whole "create new user account" thing has got to stop someday. We see this offered up as a solution to a wide variety of glitches and it seems to work. That suggests there's something fundamentally wrong with Apple's code that can damage a user's profile making many crucial functions inside FCPX useless.

Anybody know why creating a new user account is such a powerful panacea?

Aug 3, 2015 2:37 PM in response to Cayce

Hard to say what specifically is the cause, but something in the user account is preventing Final Cut (and apparently other pro apps) from working the way it should.

My suggestion is to complete your project from the new user. Then possibly try rebuilding…or reinstalling.

Here is an interesting thread with instructions from Ronny Courtens forrebuilding a corrupted user directory, You might try that method.

Russ

Aug 3, 2015 2:48 PM in response to Russ H

Yeah, at this point I'll export in the new user directory.

I'm using so many other programs — Logic Pro X and others right up there — seems like the corrupt user account would've shown up somewhere else. That's why i didn't expect it to be the case. Sorry for doubting... frustration had me in a choke hold.

The link you gave me has a PDF that looks like it might be some help. Once I get this DVD squared away, I'll give it a shot.

Thanks for the assist, Russ.

Final Cut Pro X Won't Complete Video Render

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.