Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IMAP under iOS 8.4

I'm puzzled about the fact that mail accounts setup under iOS 8.4 is different on the iPhone from what it is on the iPad. Setup on the iPad duplicates setup on OS X. On the iPhone there is no provision for specifying/setting up an incoming server, and thus it's impossible to set up an IMAP account.

My providers is ATT/Yahoo. On my MacBook Air and on the iPad I have the account set up as an IMAP account. On the iPhone I can't do that. So I'm wondering: (1) is this the way it's always been? (My vague recollection is that it is not.) (2) Is there a conflict between the setups on the iPhone and that on the iPad and th MacBook?

Thanks,

iPhone 5c, iOS 8.1.1

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 5:00 AM

7 replies

Aug 3, 2015 5:41 AM in response to AKRBTN

I explained: There is no provision for setting up an incoming server. On ATT/Yahoo it appears to be that in the settings for the incoming server that the account is identified as IMAP.

That is not the case on the iPad. On it you do specify an incoming server. Which is strange given that both the iPhone and the iPad are iOS 8.4. (My iPad is wi-fi only. Perhaps if it were wireless the setup would be identical with the phone.)

Perhaps IMAP is assumed on the iPhone, i.e., does not need to be specified.

Aug 3, 2015 6:22 AM in response to anypats

Thanks. As I say, on ATT/Yahoo only the incoming server is identified as IMAP. If I had only a phone, I don't see how I could set up an IMAP account. How did you do it? Also puzzled that your wi-fi only iPad does not require that an incoming account be specified. Is is possible to specific one?

My account was originally set up as IMAP on a MacBook several years ago. I believe I read somewhere that on ATT/Yahoo a POP account is not an option. Again, perhaps IMAP is simply assumed as default on the iPhone.

Aug 3, 2015 7:17 AM in response to EricWeir

I have an AT&T iPhone 6 and I just tested setting up a Yahoo account. I see that when you add an account if you select Yahoo, it doesn't allow you to change or specify the incoming server. Therefore, it just knows what to use. However, if I select Other and enter the information manually, I am then able to change or specify the incoming server.

Aug 3, 2015 9:03 AM in response to EricWeir

After responding I deleted my account, then in setting up the new account I elected "other" instead of Yahoo. Once I'd provided my email address and password, the account was automatically set up as an IMAP account with incoming and outgoing servers specified. Not that it matters, but the setup on my iPhone now looks exactly like the one on my iPad.

Thanks again.

IMAP under iOS 8.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.