Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't create icloud account with gmail address

I've tried creating an icloud account using my gmail account but when i try to sign in using it, I keep getting the

"Your Apple ID must be a full email address to sign up for an iCloud account." message.

I've verified the gmail account in appleid.apple.com as requested but i'm still getting the message.

I've searched Google for answers to no avail.

Can someone help?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 4:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2015 2:46 PM

I just ran in to the same issue on my new mbp.

I fixed it by logging into the apple id webpage and updating the 'Password and Security' settings to provide a security question and birthday. I also changed my phone numbers to provide the missing country code, though I doubt that had any impact. Just make the changes and try to sign in to iCloud again.

I created my apple id only when I purchased the mbp - so perhaps that path of creating account is less strict on the security info required.

I expect the stupidly misleading error message should read something along the lines of 'Your Apple Id account information seems to be incomplete.' Someone didn't do their job very well.

Hope that helps.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 1, 2015 2:46 PM in response to HardenedSoul

I just ran in to the same issue on my new mbp.

I fixed it by logging into the apple id webpage and updating the 'Password and Security' settings to provide a security question and birthday. I also changed my phone numbers to provide the missing country code, though I doubt that had any impact. Just make the changes and try to sign in to iCloud again.

I created my apple id only when I purchased the mbp - so perhaps that path of creating account is less strict on the security info required.

I expect the stupidly misleading error message should read something along the lines of 'Your Apple Id account information seems to be incomplete.' Someone didn't do their job very well.

Hope that helps.

Can't create icloud account with gmail address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.