Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

roaming network issues

Bob Tommons was able to give me this response to a question on a post in an old thread:

The "main" AirPort should be in DHCP and NAT (same as Share a Public IP address)

All other AirPorts need to be in Off (Bridge Mode)

DHCP and NAT means that the AirPort router is providing Private IP addresses to each network device and NAT means that the AirPort is sharing the one single IP Public IP Address that it receives from the modem with network devices.

Off (Bridge Mode) means that DHCP and NAT are turned "off" since you only want one router supplying DHCP and NAT services for a network.

Please start a new post for any additional questions, since we are drifting far away from the original topic of this post.

UNQUOTE

After I switch the Extreme to DHCP and NAT I was hoping to be able to use Grab to send you an image without success but the Extreme is saying Device not found . The device itself is flashing yellow.

OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), MacMini,

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 4:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply
9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 3, 2015 6:12 AM in response to Bob Timmons

These two articles was where I started yesterday but as I noted in the original post the documentation refers to an earlier version of the airport Utility software. I understand now thanks to you that DHCP and NAT are the same as share but having made the change my extreme is showing an error message and continues to flash yellow. I'm guessing that the next step is to reset the extreme and get going again. The airport Express (n) is set in the Off (Bridge Mode). The older Airport Express (g) is also (I think - I would need to reboot with an older OS to check that). I apologize for being so unworldly as far as these wireless networks are concerned and am extremely grateful for your assistance!

Aug 3, 2015 6:53 AM in response to dalgleishj72

Try power off the AirPort Express and AirPort Extreme that have green lights in the picture

Power off and restart DunbarMill Extreme

Restart your Mac

Make sure that you are logged on to the wireless network that DunbarMillExtreme provides

Open AirPort Utility to see if the AirPort now appears

If yes, then power the AirPort Express and AirPort Extreme back up

Aug 3, 2015 9:33 AM in response to Bob Timmons

THANKS for the very clear instructions.

Here is the current situation:

User uploaded file

First what you can't see is a red number 1 to the right of the extreme. Second when I click on the edit menu I can see that the DHCP and NAT is selected. The yellow light is still flashing. I have made the other two disappear because they are currently not getting power. I thought I'd wait until I can get the extreme working before moving on to that. My guess is that the next step is to reset the Extreme but I can't remember whether that is with the power on or off.

Sorry this is taking so long but really appreciate your help

Aug 3, 2015 10:43 AM in response to dalgleishj72

If you look in the smaller window at the setting for Status, it indicates that you have a Double NAT condition on the network. Apple support will normally tell you to ignore that notice.

That advice is OK if the AirPort Extreme seems to be operating normally, and you are able to connect to both the wireless and wired Ethernet connections, the Internet is working, etc.

If that is the case, there is a way to click to ignore the Double NAT. Just open up AirPort Utility again and click on the AirPort Extreme to display the smaller window that you see above again. Then click on the small amber dot next to Double NAT and an option will appear to ignore that setting. The AirPort Extreme will then display a green light.

Once you have the AirPort Extreme working correctly, you can power up the other AirPorts

If the Double NAT setting does not work though, then you will have to go back to using the "Off (Bridge Mode)" setting and run the AirPort Extreme that way.

Aug 3, 2015 10:49 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob many thanks

HOW ON EARTH DO YOU KNOW THIS STUFF (deliberately put in caps). Shouldn't this be in the manuals? Anyway - off to redo the other two units as instructed. One is easy --- the second needs a reboot so MAY not get done until later this afternoon (I'm in the West Indies at the moment - which is why the walls are so thick if you remember that at the beginning of the interchange!)

roaming network issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.