Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I add members to family without authorising them to purchase on my card?

I'd like to be able to share my family apps with my gran without running the risk that she purchase large amounts on my account without understanding what she is doing. She doesn't really use apps at the moment and I'd like her to play with them more.

iPad Mini, iOS 8.4

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 7:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 12:28 PM

I'm afraid you cannot achieve what you want. As a workaround, she can put credit on her account using iTunes gift cards, which will then be used before your credit card. However you would of course be reliant on her keeping her credit topiped up.

2 replies

Sep 17, 2015 9:24 PM in response to Winston Churchill

Winston Churchill wrote:

I'm afraid you cannot achieve what you want. As a workaround, she can put credit on her account using iTunes gift cards, which will then be used before your credit card. However you would of course be reliant on her keeping her credit topiped up.

Well, put simply, that just seems ... silly/dumb.

Either:
1) Apple should allow each "Adult" account to set up its own method of payment OR "leech off of the primary payment method" (if approved by the primary adult),
-or-
2) the Primary should be allowed to enable "Ask to Buy" for ANY and ALL accounts, in order to avoid user(s) racking up massive bills by simply buying anything and everything they want without "asking" first.

For what possible reason would Apple NOT enable the option for "Ask to Buy" on ALL accounts, rather than just on "child" accounts? That seems silly and prone to abuse or huge bills unnecessarily. Shouldn't the head of household or whatever be allowed to monitor and "approve" ALL purchases billed against their credit card?

Guess I won't be using this "feature" until it gets fixed...

Just like I won't be using iCloud until they offer a method of activating it on an Apple account without having to first purchase or log in from an iDevice. Don't know why Windows users can't have some portal to go to in order to convert their regular Apple account to an iCloud account. Ugh. Silliness.

How do I add members to family without authorising them to purchase on my card?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.