Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mid 2010 Macbook Pro Memory Question

Hello,

Just recently purchased a Mid 2010 Macbook pro. I noticed that the memory installed read 10 GB. There is one 8GB chip and one 2GB chip in there. I read that having different sized memory chips can alter performance, and I also read that the real limit on the 2010 MBP is indeed 8GB. I haven't had too many issues with the machine - VERY occasionally it will reboot unexpectedly. But performance does not feel like that of a 10 GB machine. Even as I am typing this, the characters show up on the screen a split second after I type them, and all I have running are safari and terminal. I ran a Memtest and all came back OK.

My question is am I better off purchasing 2X4GB chips? I know I shouldn't move up to 16 from what I've read elsewhere.

Let me know your opinion!

Thanks.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 7:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 8:35 AM

It is a question of which model 2010 MBP that you have. A 13" model will accept up to 16 GB RAM, the 15" and 17" models are limited to 8 GB RAM.

Maximum efficiency is achieved with matched RAM modules, but any increase in RAM will result in a performance boost. As a general rule, there will be a 15% drop in efficiency with a mismatched set of modules as compared to a matched set with the same amount of RAM.

Replacing you current 10 GB installation with two 4 GB modules would result in a very small performance decline.

Ciao.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 3, 2015 8:35 AM in response to bkelms

It is a question of which model 2010 MBP that you have. A 13" model will accept up to 16 GB RAM, the 15" and 17" models are limited to 8 GB RAM.

Maximum efficiency is achieved with matched RAM modules, but any increase in RAM will result in a performance boost. As a general rule, there will be a 15% drop in efficiency with a mismatched set of modules as compared to a matched set with the same amount of RAM.

Replacing you current 10 GB installation with two 4 GB modules would result in a very small performance decline.

Ciao.

Mid 2010 Macbook Pro Memory Question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.