Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie shutting down computer on export.

I've been having an issue in iMovie where every time I try to share/export something, my fans get very loud and my computer heats up then shuts off. It happens with all projects whether they are a short video or long video. What is going on?

iMovie 10.0.9

Macbook Pro Late 2013

OS X 10.10.4

16GB Ram

2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 with boost to 3.4 GHz

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 6:52 AM

1 reply

Aug 5, 2015 3:16 PM in response to JoelM515

Yes, I have had this problem too. My CPU/tower was overheating during normal use and when exporting, because I was running a movie with a song overlaid. The internal cooling fan can't keep up with the rise in temperature. My solution was to turn off the CPU and let it cool down to room temperature. Get a fan and place it aiming at the back of the CPU and turn it on high speed. Then turn on your computer again and run whatever you were running. By doing this you are actually getting a jump on the rise in temperature and the internal cooling fan combined with your external fan on high speed will allow you computer to maintain a normal internal operating temperature. If your CPU is located in a confined space, you might consider moving to a spot where there is cooler airflow available.

iMovie shutting down computer on export.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.