Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changed File Permissions when copying back from TC to OS X

Hi all,

i was wondering if you guys experience the same:

When i copy a file (e.g. a picture .PNG) to a TimeCapsule via network, and also copy that file back to OS X, the file permissions on that file have changed.

In Terminal it looks like:

(Original file on Desktop: )

344 -rw-r--r--@ 1 flo staff 173263 18 Dez 2012 0.caf

copied by finder drag n drop or by using command "rsync" to TimeCapsule:

344 -rwxrwxrwx 1 flo staff 173263 18 Dez 2012 0.caf*

In finder it looks like:

User uploaded file

So when copying a file from OS X to TC, the file permissions change from USER to UNKNOWN and READ / WRITE. Even when copied back from TC to it's original origin, the file permission is still READ / WRITE to EVERYONE, STAFF and UNKNOWN.

Is this normal and why can't a nativ HFS+ formatted Apple device keep the file permission?

I already did start a more detailed thread over here if someone is interested, but i think most likely the Time Capsule Forum is the way to go, thank you.

Problem with OS X file permissions on devices running other file system than "hfs"

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 9:44 AM

8 replies

Aug 3, 2015 3:10 PM in response to flowmac

Is this normal and why can't a nativ HFS+ formatted Apple device keep the file permission?

The TC is a network drive.. it is not under the control of your computer.. it under the control of the OS in the TC..

From the aspect of your computer.. if you use Mavericks or Yosemite.. the TC is connected by SMB. In other words windows file message blocks. Although the same issue will probably still happen under AFP.

What you need to do is create a disk image on the TC. This is a virtual disk which is then under the control of the computer instead of the TC firmware.

See Q3 here.. for how to use the TC with data files..

http://pondini.org/TM/Time_Capsule.html

Aug 4, 2015 3:35 AM in response to LaPastenague

Hi,

thanks for this helpful link.

Can you recommend to use TC als a "fileserver" with the changed file permissions and all, or should it only used for which it's designed for, in combination with TimeMachine? I have a client and want to store his 3TB of Photos (RAW's and JPG) on TC by wired network. Since those files all turn 777 / full read-write, i am wondering if this is the best thing to do.

The alternative would be to use a Firewire or USB Drive, where the rights of the files remain.

Thank you

Aug 4, 2015 3:53 AM in response to flowmac

Apple did not design the TC as a file server.. people press it into that role.. but it is really better to use something built to purpose or as you suggest USB or FW800 drives.

I think the issue became much worse with Yosemite.. I am not sure why but the file permissions are reported pretty often here as an issue.

The problem with using DMG (or sparsebundle) is that only one computer can mount it at a time.. so it doesn't make for good file sharing.

I think personally you are better buying a cheap NAS. But for cost.. an external drive and shared to the network becomes the same thing.

Aug 4, 2015 9:01 AM in response to LaPastenague

Thanks, i will take that into account and go for a USB / FW Drive.

Well i did buy a TC because on my Buffalo and Synology NAS, the file permissions on Mac-files get also changed to 777 🙂.

Copy to NAS, copy back to OS X and the file has 777. Do you experience the same?

(I use rsync to copy my whole OS X Dive to a NAS and also to a Linux machine. On Linux, i noticed all files are 777 and so it's on my NAS.)

I believe, as soon as a "file service" or a "file server" , like TimeCapsule OS or NAS-Filesystem-Server, process a OS X-file, it gets changed to 777.

It has to be native HFS+ and controlled by OS X, then the rights of a file remain untouched, and this is by external storage like USB or FW.

(or maybe OS X Server).

Aug 4, 2015 3:52 PM in response to flowmac

I actually just recently pulled all the Time Capsules out of my network. I will put one back to check it.

Here is example of file copied to Synology NAS.

So from left to right.. the original file in original location..

file copied to the NAS and change as you say to permissions is clear.

Copy the file back to the computer in different directory.. permissions stay same as on the NAS.

User uploaded file

Aug 6, 2015 2:13 PM in response to flowmac

Exactly the same with a TC.

And even forced it to AFP .. so I am sure everything should be apple all the way.

User uploaded file

Once you copy a file to a network location its permissions are controlled by the network device... this is not surprising.

I created a dmg file on the TC.. copied the file to it.. and all is good.. as expected.. because the virtual disk is controlled by the computer.

User uploaded file

Aug 7, 2015 2:20 AM in response to LaPastenague

Thanks a ton.

At least your file-ownership is still bound to the User. I have UNKNOWN later on. Maybe this comes with a OS X > then 10.8 (that i am using).

The Image is a workaround, yes, since i had planned to use the 3 TB TC as a file server, i believe there will be speed issues with a 3 TB dmg that has to get mounted after each reboot. I stick with USB.

Thanks for your help

Changed File Permissions when copying back from TC to OS X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.