Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cloning one to another Mac

I am preparing to buy 2 brand new computers for my business - a 27 inch iMac and a 13 inch Macbook Pro. I want to them to both run the same software and contain the same information. My plan is to install my programs and data onto the iMac and then, rather than repeat the process on the MacBook Pro, I'd like to somehow just install a clone or mirror of everything on the iMac onto the Macbook Pro. I did this successfully about 5 years ago on my current macs but can't remember how I did it. Not sure I used any sort of 3rd party software. It seems like I was able to simply port one to the other have the recipient copy the original. At least I think that's what I did.

Any idea how this is done? I supposed I'd also want to have the OS on the iMac copy over as well, as it may contain some plug ins and other items installed when I install the various software programs. Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks.

2009 iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 8:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 8:57 AM

Connect the computers through Thunderbolt, start up the MacBook Pro with the T key held down, and then use the Disk Utility's Restore function or a program such as Carbon Copy Cloner to transfer the data.

(131182)

3 replies

Cloning one to another Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.