Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I transfer select files to my new iMac?

I recently purchased a 27" iMac to replace my MacBook Pro. There are several programs on the MacBook that I would like to transfer to my new iMac. The problem is I don't want to transfer everything. I would just reinstall the programs I want on the new iMac if I could only find the original discs. That question will be saved for a home organization forum elsewhere. I also want to transfer my pics from iPhoto on my MacBook to Photos on the new iMac. I was hoping there is a way I can connect via ethernet and pick and choose the stuff I want. Is this possible? Migration Assistant seems to want to transfer everything, which I don't want to do. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 9:21 AM

1 reply

Aug 3, 2015 9:39 AM in response to Robert Chatfield

You have several methods, first is using Setup Assistant. Setup Assistant it what comes on when you start any new Mac for the first time. Part of SA is it will ask if you are migrating from another Mac. Select yes, connect the Time Machine backup from the old computer via USB and then follow the on-screen prompts. You can tell it to migrate apps but it is an all or nothing approach meaning you cannot select specific apps. If you want to do that then you either need to re-download them from the Mac App Store is you bought them there or manually install them.

The second method is using SA's cousin, Migration Assistant. MA works the same way, however it creates a new user account. Simply launch MA (Command + Spacebar and type Migration Assistant and connect the old computers TM backup via USB and follow the on-screen prompts.

Apple discusses both methods in more detail in Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

NOTE: DO NOT use wi-fi to migrate and do not use Ethernet. Only use USB, it is the most reliable and overall fastest method.

Please let us know if you have additional questions.

How can I transfer select files to my new iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.