Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Dismiss" Email or Text Message Means What?

Does it send the email or text to the trash or does it just mark it as having been read, or does it do something else?

Watch Sport 42mm, watchOS 1.0.1

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 9:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 9:36 AM

It removes the notification from your notifications swipe down list on Apple Watch and clears the notifications marker.

It doesn't send it to trash. It will mark the email as read, unless you tap on "Mark as unread" instead of on "Dismiss".

3 replies

Aug 3, 2015 10:07 AM in response to Bob Baron

Hi Bob

To clarify, covering both messages and emails:

• "Dismiss" removes the notification from your notifications swipe down list on Apple Watch and clears the notifications marker - this applies for both emails and messages.
  • It doesn't send either emails or messages to trash.
  • It will mark emails as read, unless you tap on "Mark as unread" instead of on "Dismiss".
  • It causes messages to be marked as read (there is no option to choose "Mark as unread").

Aug 3, 2015 1:33 PM in response to Jonathan UK

Thanks, Jonathan, this is most helpful. "Dismiss' is open to various interpretations and perhaps it will be clarified in the next edition of the Apple Watch user guide.

I've been intermittently trying to figure out the device's uses and quirks over the past month and I think with help from this community I'm finally starting to getting the hang of it.

--Bob

"Dismiss" Email or Text Message Means What?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.