Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP Retina speakers start to crack when audio plays

My MacBook Pro Retina 13" (early 2015 model) internal speaker started to make weird popping/cracking sound when audio is played. Cracking/popping continues ca 20-30 seconds after audio finishes. This happens with any kind of audio - even startup chime and chime when NVRAM is reset. Audio plays clean through headphones.

This appeared only 1 week after purchase of the MBP.

Has anyone encountered similar behaviour? How to cure this malfunction?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), 3,1 GHz i7, 16 GB RAM, 1TB SSD

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 10:48 AM

5 replies

Aug 3, 2015 12:11 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

Thanks for suggestion, but neither NVRAM reset, nor SMC reset did not help.

Cracking/popping sound seems to emerge every time internal speakers are accessed.

Cracking/popping sound starts to appear ca 20-30 seconds after sound starts palying through speakers. First the cracking is quiet, but it gets louder by time reaching maximum in ca 2 minutes. When sound is switched off but cracking continues (ca 30 seconds after playout is stopped) you can hear quiet whining after the crack sound.

Cracking seems to be emitted only from left speaker. Loudness of the cracking stays the same no matter how loud the sound is played. Although when volume is higher cracking is more frequent.

When played on loud volume you can also hear like left speaker's volume is fluctuating like someone is playing with volume knob turning volume on and off constantly. I wonder if this is the issue with software that tries to put one channel in sleep and then switches it on again or hardware issue with fried soundcard basically doing the same.

MBP Retina speakers start to crack when audio plays

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.