Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac system issues

I too seem to be having what seems a similar problem. Was working on my iMac (OS 10.10.4) yesterday when in the middle of doing nothing other than typing, the system seemed to go into a convulsion of sorts with a repeating staccato sound, flashing screen and the only way it would stop was to push the power button to restart. This had happened 2 or 3 times over the previous week as well, which rebooted the system without problem. This time however, the system will reboot only to the white startup screen, the status bar getting to about 25% and going no farther before the white screen is joined momentarily by a 1/4" horizontal band of pixelated color across the top, before the screen goes to black, then reboots itself, only to repeat the process all over again.

I have reset the PRAM per suggestion as well unplugged the iMac overnight, have tried a "SafeStart", but nothing seems to make a difference as I cannot get passed the above description. I do run antivirus software and have not been prompted of any problems. Of course, I was "just going to run a full backup" so that has not been done for a few months. I sadly I disconnect my external HD and TimeMachine back up when I moved some things around and forgot to reconnect it all .... duh!

Everything "sounds and looks" fine, until it won't proceed any further. Any thoughts or assistance would be GREATLY appreciated.

<Subject Edited by Host>

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 10:37 AM

3 replies

Aug 3, 2015 11:17 AM in response to I Am Kawika

I tried another time starting up in SafeMode - status bar made it a little farther to about 1/3, then proceeded no further. After a few minutes, screen went to black for about 3 seconds, then to white, no longer with status bar or Apple logo - and there I am sure it will remain until I force reboot. Any HELP from anyone would be hugely appreciated.

I Am Kawika,

Please submit your own thread, chances are your issue is totally different than the OPs. When you do, someone will be happy to answer I am sure. When you do, please post an EtreCheck report of your system if you can. This will let us know how your system is configured and we can look for obvious issues. You can get EtreCheck by clicking http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck

Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

About the screens you see when your Mac starts up - Apple Support

I do run antivirus software

After you get your problem cleared up suggest that you uninstall the antivirus software. Causes the type of problems you are currently having. Also, it's not needed on Macs (unless you are running Windows).

Check out User Tip: Viruses, Trojans, Malware - and other aspects of Internet Security and Mac Malware Guide.

P.S. Have requested that a HOST move your post or to change it as a "New Topic." Not sure if this can be done.

User uploaded file

iMac system issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.