Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

802.11ac Extreme model is different for different countries?

Hello!

I live in Russia and I'm looking to buy 802.11ac Airport Extreme, but I remember that some time ago I've read somewhere that 802.11ac AE may work slower than it can because of some regional restrictions.

I've started searching information and found confirmation. US Apple' site states 1300 Mbps peak bandwidth (https://www.apple.com/compare-wifi-models/) for Extreme, while Russian https://www.apple.com/ru/compare-wifi-models/ site says "up to 600 Mbit/s" with footnote: "80 MHz channel width and beamforming technology are not available in Russia and some other countries".

The question: the way router works depends on software settings or it's hardware restricted?

Should I order ME918LL/A from eBay or it's no different and I'll be able to get full 802.11ac performance by setting US region on ME918RU/A?

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 9:58 AM

6 replies

Aug 3, 2015 10:16 AM in response to olololosha

The question: the way router works depends on software settings or it's hardware restricted?

It would be hardware or firmware restricted.

Should I order ME918LL/A from eBay or it's no different and I'll be able to get full 802.11ac performance by setting US region on ME918RU/A?

What you can order vs. what you can operate legally in a country would be dependent on that country's laws.

Aug 3, 2015 12:18 PM in response to Tesserax

I need help figuring out this. Thank you in advance.

What you can order vs. what you can operate legally in a country would be dependent on that country's laws.

We have different views 🙂 Routers are legal to order; we can operate everything we can order, nobody cares and nobody checks this. My current ASUS router operates in 80 MHz channel width and with beamforming and it's insane that such stuff is illegal. But that ASUS is working badly now, and I want to replace it. And surely I want to get full 802.11ac performance Airport Extreme can provide.

Aug 3, 2015 6:32 PM in response to olololosha

I need help figuring out this. Thank you in advance.

It's my understanding that Apple manufactures their AirPort base station to support different regions in the world. They would include firmware that limits both the available radio channels and antenna radiating power levels. My guess is where the channel / power specifications are similar those countries were placed in a region ... and "burnt into" the firmware. I haven't seen anything from Apple which definitively defines the makeup of each of these regions.

I do know, for example, that the AirPorts destined for the US market do not include Russia in the selectable list of countries provided in the AirPort Utility. That may not be true for base stations designed for the Russian market. That is, I don't know if US is a selectable country option in these base stations.

Aug 4, 2015 1:53 AM in response to Tesserax

The firmware is identical for all countries. but there is a set of restrictions maintained in the firmware for wireless in each country..

The TC sold in my region include

User uploaded file

Modems sold for US market have a list..

Includes most of North and Central Americas.

To OP, Post the list that your unit includes.. Apple will not allow you to break local regulations. So unlike other brands they do not readily allow changes to country code.

802.11ac Extreme model is different for different countries?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.