Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't run mount_nfs command line with nfsv4 option?

Using "Connect to Server", I can mount a partition an nfs partition using the following:

nfs://vers=4,xserver01/Volumes/EXPORT

Checking using nfsstat -m /Volumes/EXPORT I get the following:

File system locations:

/Volumes/EXPORT @ vers=4 (xserver01) (10.0.x.x)

That works great.... but I can't achieve the same results via commandline.

I've created a directory in "/" to mount partitions manually named mnt and then created "/mnt/EXPORT" to mount the partition....

When I run a mount_nfs command with limited options, this is the result:

mount_nfs -o proto=tcp,vers=4 xserver01:/Volumes/EXPORT /mnt/EXPORT

mount_nfs: can't mount /Volumes/EXPORT from xserver01 onto /mnt/PLAYBACK: Program version wrong

Changing the vers to "vers=4.0" gives me:

mount_nfs: illegal NFS version value -- 4.0

But mounts under nfsv3..., and the same with the older depreciated "4.0alpha" option.

While NFSv3 works, I am doing testing with regards to ACL's which v3 doesn't support properly.

xserver01 is Mavericks 10.9.5 running server... and I have tried mounting from both 10.9.5 and 10.10.4 clients with no luck via commandline, but using the "Connect to Server" from the menu works just fine.

Problem is, I need to have this scripted and also setup correctly under automount.

Any ideas?

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 10:38 AM

2 replies

Aug 12, 2015 9:40 AM in response to Jackemuk

Hi Jackemuk,

I'm also trying to mount_nfs an OS X nfsd export with ACL support.

Just to get a folder shared between two Open Directory enabled OS X with full permissions management.

I also get the following error:

MyClient:/ root# mount_nfs -o vers=4,acl MyServer:/Volumes/Export /pipo

mount_nfs: can't mount /Volumes/Export from MyServer onto /pipo: Program version wrong

Here is my /etc/exports file:

/Volumes/Export -maproot=0:0 -ro MyClient

Did you find any workaround ?

Aug 31, 2015 4:00 PM in response to beeloo

Howdy Beeloo,

No, I haven't figured out any solution. The problem happens for both exported shares from an 10.9.5 server as well as an Isilon share.

The only way I have been able to get the partition to mount is from the "Connect to Server" dialog box. This does not allow for configuring automount either...

</-Jackemuk>

Can't run mount_nfs command line with nfsv4 option?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.