Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPhoto mess

I am trying to open Iphoto after the Yosemiteupgrade to make sure I have all my photos backed up. It will not let me open the APP so I can do this.

Help

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 11:22 AM

2 replies

Aug 3, 2015 11:27 AM in response to lindafromst. albert

You back up before upgrading and opening the app.

Most Simple Back Up:

Drag the iPhoto Library from your Pictures Folder to another Disk. This will make a copy on that disk.

Slightly more complex: Use an app that will do incremental back ups. This is a very good way to work. The first time you run the back up the app will make a complete copy of the Library. Thereafter it will update the back up with the changes you have made. That makes subsequent back ups much faster. Many of these apps also have scheduling capabilities: So set it up and it will do the back up automatically.

Example of such apps: Chronosync- but there are many others. Search on MacUpdateor the App Store

At a guess you need to update iPhoto:

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

IPhoto mess

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.