Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

access tiger external FW HD from mac in snow leopard

I would like to use the same monitor to access files created in EITHER OF 2 different OS versions. That monitor is now connected to a 1.83 Ghz Intel Duo Core Mac Mini running Snow Leopard

When I attach an FW external HD (LaCie little disk with no ac power) with a Tiger OS that HD does NOT show up in the SL Startup Disc selection in preferences although when attached the icons for that FW external drive show up on the desktop and I can access some of the files.

What is creating the underlying problem is that the FW drive has hundreds of resource materials from decades of work in earlier Macs that CAN be accessed in Tiger, but not in SL

(That FW drive partitions and files on it were created from a Power Pc G4 running 10.4.11)

Does the external HD with Tiger have to be a AC powered unit before it will appear in the Startup Disc window??

As of now my solution is an older Mac Mini running as a power PC.... I was hoping to be able to eliminate that one

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 9:57 AM

12 replies

Aug 3, 2015 11:29 AM in response to Joeamber

Onto a different drive; if desired, repartition the internal one and use the blank partition for it. You'll probably find that the external drive you have is partitioned using the APM scheme, while the installer requires GUID; it isn't possible to change this without reformatting the entire drive.

(131192)

Aug 3, 2015 3:31 PM in response to Niel

OKAY SO one partition is Guid and other is PowerPC) and a 3rd partition for all the data???

and that data can be accessed in EITHER partition

My purpose is to get rid of a PPC mac mini BUT TO SAVE AND ACCESS THE PPC compatible NON SYSTEM software that created those old files

if so would the external drive need 3 partitions one PPC one Guide to be be bootable to the intel and one with all the old files?

Aug 3, 2015 5:37 PM in response to Joeamber

You need to put the Intel version of Tiger onto a different drive from the one which contains the PowerPC version of it. Unlike partitions, a drive can only have one partition table map.

Once you've done that, install any applications you need into the Intel Tiger system, connect the external drive, and access the files.

(131208)

access tiger external FW HD from mac in snow leopard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.