Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i can't drag photos onto my desktop anymore!!

Hello! I bought my mac book pro last November and until about February when I finally updated my laptop, I was able to drag all my photos from iPhoto onto my desktop. I have a tumblr blog with all my favorite pictures that I have taken and it has become a challenge to be able to upload them all because i have to upload them all one by one. PLEASE HELP!! 😀

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.3.x)

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 11:27 AM

3 replies

Aug 3, 2015 11:45 AM in response to nat.frampton

With the amount of information you've provided it's impossible to offer a solution. We can't see your computer so we need to know the details of your problem and setup, i.e.:

• what system are you running?
  • what version of iPhoto are you running?
  • what fixes have you tried?
  • where is your library located?
  • did you apply any updates or upgrades just prior to the problem occurring?
  • are you running a "managed" or "referenced" library?
  • what type of Mac?
  • how much free space on your boot drive?
  • exactly what happens when you try to click and drag to the Desktop? You do know that that process does not provide you with the full resolution image file unless it's been edited, right?

User uploaded file

Aug 3, 2015 12:40 PM in response to Old Toad

oh sorry! I am not knowledgable at all so I wasn't aware of what information I needed to provide. I have yosemite x 10.10.4, I'm not sure what iPhoto version it is but its all up to date, i haven't tried anything because i honestly have no idea what Im doing, the problem occurred right after i updated to the big yosemite update, i don't know the difference between a managed or referenced library, i have a mac book pro retina display, i have 16 GB free, when I click and drag the photo the green plus sign shows up and then i release the photo and it just disappears. I am aware that the image is not as good of quality, i am not a professional and it doesn't bother me so much as long as I'm not uploading something very important. Im quite ignorant to be honest.

Aug 3, 2015 2:07 PM in response to nat.frampton

If you're running 10.10.4 you must be using the new Photos application. Do you see this in the upper left hand corner of the window when using it?

User uploaded file

When dragging and have that plus sign hover for a couple of seconds in the Photos window before continuing to the Desktop and releasing.

The other method of getting photos to the Destkop is to export them via the File ➙ Export menu option. That way you can decide to export the original or, if edited, the edited version.

User uploaded file

i can't drag photos onto my desktop anymore!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.