Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Compressor "Error trying to open source media file." XAVC-S .mp4 files

User uploaded file

Whenever I try to open Sony A7s XAVC-s format .mp4 files using Apple Compressor, I get this error: "Error trying to open source media file."

Does anyone know how to get around this or what it means? I am trying to batch convert a few hundred files into a lower quality format to send to an editor in another part of the country.

This happens whether I import a bunch of files or just one. There has been the odd one which did open in Compressor, but this was rare and by accident, and I could never duplicate it.

All these files open fine in Final Cut Pro X and the Adobe suite of products. It also happens on both my iMac and Macbook. I have tried reinstalling Compressor from the app store, no luck so far.

Thanks for any help.

Compressor, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), null

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 10:27 AM

3 replies

Oct 16, 2015 10:12 PM in response to midifirst

Compressor does not support XAVC-s. However, FXP X and Motion 5 supports this format.

I use an app called EditReady to convert XAVC-S ($49 USD). It's fast and easy to use. You can download a trail version.

http://www.divergentmedia.com/editready

Another way to do this and it's free...

Hi-light the videos you want to convert to ProRes...

User uploaded file

Right Click.....

User uploaded file

Select... Encode Selected Video Files...

User uploaded file

Change the setting to Apple ProRes.

The clips will be encoded to ProRes (size at 100%) 422/LPCM audio. You'll just set back and wait for the encoding to be finished (this too is very fast.). The finished encoded videos will be in the same folder that the original videos are in.

Apple Compressor "Error trying to open source media file." XAVC-S .mp4 files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.