Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to reset password when I can't run install disk

I have an old PowerBook G4 that I've kept to eventually get all the data off the hard drive and then recycle it.

However, back in 2011 my charger stopped working and Apple stopped making them years prior (I looked and there are no more aftermarket chargers available). I just found it again in the garage and want to finally get rid of it but need to get the data off first and then wipe it.

So here's my problem, I can't even begin to remember what my password was on it, been 4 years since it worked and I got a new Mac to replace it. I do have the install disk but the Power Book won't be able to turn on to actually put it in the drive and run it. I was considering getting an enclosure and possibly use the hard drive as an external but without the password will I even be able to use it?

So, my main question is, when I set a password on OS X (This would likely have been 10.5, Leopard, I don't think I was able to upgrade to Snow Leopard) does it also lock access to the hard drive with the same password? I DID NOT encrypt my hard drive, just the standard OS X login password. If I take the drive out and try to plug it into my current computer will I have to have that password? If so, how do I get around it? Can I plug it into another computer and then run the install disk in that computer to recover it that way?

What other options do I have? I called a few repair shops who say they could brute force through the password and get the data off but I don't have $100 - $150 to spend on some info that is probably not worth it.

Thank you for your time

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.5)

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 12:12 PM

5 replies

Aug 3, 2015 1:14 PM in response to JonInSD

If it has Firewire & you have another Mac with FW, you can connect them & boot the PB holding t key, to make the PB appear as another FW drive on the other Mac.

Or...

Reset OS X Password Without an OS X CD...

http://theappleblog.com/2008/06/22/reset-os-x-password-without-an-os-x-cd/

Admin Hack...

http://www.hackmac.org/?q=node/4

Starts up like the first time you buy a new Mac, but after filling in all that info again, you should have access to the computer and the other Users & files will still be there... give the new User a different name than an existing one.

http://www.macyourself.com/2009/08/03/how-to-reset-your-mac-os-x-password-withou t-an-installer-disc/

Aug 3, 2015 3:06 PM in response to BDAqua

Don't all these options need the PB to actually turn on? I can't because the charger doesn't work and Apple doesn't make them anymore, no aftermarket chargers either. I don't have another computer with firewire either.

First link you gave says the author deleted the site.

For the second and third link I need it to actually power on.

Any advice for if I can take the hard drive out and connect it to another computer that way? Will I still need the password?

How to reset password when I can't run install disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.