Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes suddenly not synching certain mp3s.

My iTunes account is suddenly not transferring 100+ mp3 files during the sync process to my iPod, due to the File type "not being supported". But these are just mp3s and my iPod has always previously sync'd them without a problem. It is the 7th generation iPod.

Many thanks in advance - this is utterly frustrating given I have a 25,000 song library.

iPod classic, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), Final generation iPod Classic.

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 1:31 PM

2 replies

Aug 5, 2015 9:30 AM in response to rtd80

Hello rtd80,
I know that it can be frustrating when trying to sync your content to your iPod nano and getting an error that the file type is not supported. Let's see if we can get that sorted out for you.
I would start with narrowing down those songs and creating a new version in iTunes. It will look at the current version and will create a new MP3, AAC or whatever version you set in iTunes Preferences. I know it may seem like a lot of work, but if the music files are corrupted, this will be the way to get your music on your iPod nano. Take a look at the article below to walk you through this if you are not familiar with it
iTunes: How to convert a song to a different file format
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204310

Take care

Aug 5, 2015 3:51 PM in response to norm123

Thanks Norm,

Actually the problem was a really strange one to resolve.

The files were not corrupted in anyway. But because I had previously played these songs on my iPhone (using the music app, streaming them from the cloud) since the iPod had last been synched with my library, the original files in my iTunes library on my computer must have somehow become modified because they were now not recognised by my iPod classic when it was plugged into my computer/iTunes where the original files are stored.

The way I resolved it was to find the files that were not synching in my iTunes library on my computer, and play a few seconds of each of them IN ITUNES ON THE COMPUTER. By triggering the file from the computer, it then became recognised again by the iPod when plugged in.

This has rather put me off using the Music app or subscribing to the new Music app, and streaming my library on other devices like my phone and tablets.

I don't want my iTunes library manipulated or for certain files to be treated differently, and not be unaccessible should I ever stop subscribing to the monthly service. I like having my music stored in a place that isn't susceptible to all these issues.

Thanks a lot for responding and the kind offer of help.

iTunes suddenly not synching certain mp3s.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.