Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I conditionally format the text of a cell based on values of another cell?

I'm using Numbers 3.5.3 to create a tournament bracket (similar concept to a March Madness bracket, but a different sport).

Here is how the bracket looks at the start:

User uploaded file

And here is how it would look after the first two rounds:

User uploaded file

The bracket is filled out automatically based upon inputs into a different sheet. What I want to happen is that as winners advance, their name is made bold and the losers name is "faded" (i.e. changed from black to a shade of grey). For example, in the second image, you can see that in match 1, Gregory Viloria (B8) beat Mateo Sanchez (B6) by a score of 18 to 5 (F8 and F6), and advanced to round 2 (I8) to meet Ricky Landeros (I9). Once this happens, is there a way I can make B8 automatically go bold and B6 automatically fade? And, obviously, I want to apply this same thing to the rest of the bracket.

Usually a combination of googling and banging my head against the wall helps me figure these kinds of things out, but this one has me stumped. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Early 2011 MacBook Pro OSX

Yosemite 10.10.4

2.3 GHz Intel Core i5

4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), Numbers 3.5.3

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 12:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 2:08 PM

Hi momogabi,

You would need to compare the contents of the cell you want to conditionally highlight to another cell. So if you had a cell that registered the winner in match one you could compare to that. To fade the loser you would need a comparison cell for that.

User uploaded file

The circled button will let you select your comparison cell.

quinn

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 3, 2015 2:08 PM in response to momogabi

Hi momogabi,

You would need to compare the contents of the cell you want to conditionally highlight to another cell. So if you had a cell that registered the winner in match one you could compare to that. To fade the loser you would need a comparison cell for that.

User uploaded file

The circled button will let you select your comparison cell.

quinn

Aug 3, 2015 6:14 PM in response to momogabi

Hi momogabi,

Yes, Numbers is not really set up to make this easy.

If your comparison cells are set up in the same relationship as your bracket you can combine rules.

First you need to make an adjustment to your first rule by unchecking these boxes.

User uploaded file

then you can select all the cells you want to have this rule and

User uploaded file

combine rules.

quinn

Aug 4, 2015 2:36 PM in response to t quinn

No problem. It seems I'm not quite there though. Take a look at this:

User uploaded file

Here are the rules for cell F6:

User uploaded file

Given these rules, F6 should be grey, not bold, because it is less than F8. I'm having the same problem in F8 (it should be bold, not grey), and the same problem is happening in sporadically in other cells. Not all, oddly, but some. Any thoughts on what is happening?

Can I conditionally format the text of a cell based on values of another cell?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.