Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Silicon Power S60 240GB SSD Doesn't Work

The other day the original hard disk in my mid 2009 MBP failed, so i went out and bought a Silicon Power s60 240gb SSD.

i was going to restore from a time machine backup but it didnt work. it only achieved 0.01 percent and the estimated time kept climbing into the hundreds of hours.

it gave me a error in the log window: i think it was 0x00049223 if i remember correctly

Then i just decided to do a clean install of OSX 10.6, I popped in the cd into the cd drive and held alt until i saw a mouse, the the cd popped up so i clicked on it

i followed the instructions and the install began, the install was really slow and it said 30 minutes but i went and played 3 hours of gta 4 and came back and it still said 30 minutes. so i took out the ssd and popped in a 250 gb western digital scorpio blue drive i had laying around. started the install again and it worked flawlessly.

PLEASE HELP.

I formmated the ssd to mac osx extended (journaled)

verifyed and repaired multiple times

searched the internet for three days straight and found nothing

reset the SMC

System Specs

MBP Mid 2009

8GB of ddr3 1066mhz memory

Intel core 2 duo 2.26ghz dual core processor

SSD that doesnt work correctly

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 11:21 AM

5 replies

Jul 31, 2016 1:31 PM in response to ProductSupport

Does Apple actually read these?

Sorry to burst your ballon, but NO. This is a User-to-User forum.

If you want personalized help from Apple, Inc, you should make an appointment at an Apple store for an evaluation (free) or contact Applecare by telephone (charges may apply, depending on your warranty status) or start an online chat with Apple support.

Jul 31, 2016 1:40 PM in response to Ghost90able

There is one more anecdotal problem that certain MacBooks face from time-to-time. The SATA cable that services the drives in some models may chafe on the machined interior surface of the bottom plate, and disturb the insulation of the cable, causing the cable (and the drive it serves) to malfunction.

A solution to this perceived problem was suggested in a You Tube Video by Brue Computing. That is, to apply electrical tape to the bottom plate and to the underside of the cable, as shown in this screen grab:

User uploaded file

the drive itself was removed for photographic clarity.

... and because OGELTHORPE makes me say it every time, "you will get better results by using RED tape, because it works better at the higher speeds associated with more modern drives"😝

Silicon Power S60 240GB SSD Doesn't Work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.