Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a late 2012 27" iMac that I want to use as a monitor for a Surface Pro 3. I have tried using a Mini DisplayPort cable between the 2 devices but that hasn't worked. Does anyone have a solution?

I have a late 2012 27" iMac that I want to use as a monitor for a Surface Pro 3. I have tried using a Mini DisplayPort cable between the 2 devices but that hasn't worked. Does anyone have a solution?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 11:48 AM

5 replies

Aug 3, 2015 12:20 PM in response to Jag41

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it simply will not work. What you are describing is called Target Display Mode, Apple discusses this in Use your iMac as a display with Target Display Mode - Apple Support. The part that describes that it will not work is"

"To use your iMac as a display, connect it to another Mac using the right cable (see System Requirements below). Then press Command-F2 on the keyboard connected to your iMac. When you're done, press Command-F2 again."

Please do not ask if there is any other method to make what you want to work, unfortunately it does not exist.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.