Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

track stack kills external controller smart controls

Is this happening for anyone else?

I can reproduce on two systems and see other forums posting this issue

Late 2013 Mac Pro or Late 2011 MacBook Pro

OS X 10.10.4

Logic 10.1.1

Steps:

1) New Logic Project

2) Create a few Software Instrument Tracks

3) Assign an external MIDI controller to one of the Smart Controls for one of the Instrument Tracks

4) Make sure the external MIDI controller is controlling the Smart Control as expected

5) add all Software Instrument Tracks to a Track Stack

6) external MIDI controller stops working as expected for the track with an external MIDI controller assigned to a Smart Control

Just building a big template to take advantage of MIDI FX+Smart Controls. Lack of ability to use track stacks is a drag.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 12:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 7:14 PM

This issue continues in Logic 10.2

It is worth fixing.

5 replies

Sep 2, 2015 12:14 PM in response to jcrooksie

There are workarounds posted at logicprohelp:

http://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=107045

involving

1) Changing the Smart Control Controller Assignment from "Channel Strip: Selected Track" to "Channel Strip: Software Instrument"

2) Changing the Mix View to All Tracks

I have gotten (1) to work, but not consistently.

However, this workaround is not a bug fix, and never fixes the issue in my use case:

1) Have a lot of Instrument Tracks with MIDI FX Scripts

2) Each Script has 1 Parameter

3) Assign a smart control to that Parameter

4) Assign an external controller to that Smart Control, for example CC 90

(All Smart controls will respond to that controller when the track is selected, so CC 90 can be used for all tracks with this setup)

5) Add tracks to a Track Stack

6) Smart Control loses external control

Oct 9, 2016 5:26 AM in response to jcrooksie

Its still an issue in 10.2. I think Larsomat put it very well. It significantly interferes with attempts to automate Logic with external controllers, and it also interferes with any meaningful attempt to create significant project templates and patches as reported by jcrooksie. I can see no logical reason why creating a stack track should invalidate MIDI mappings made to Smart Control assignments. It is a ridiculous longstanding bug that needs to be fixed *now*.

track stack kills external controller smart controls

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.