Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Set up New iPad without erasing content – Yosemite

3 August 2015

Hope someone can help here... 😕

I bought a new iPad Air 2 and started using it immediately. I have downloaded a number of Apps and have used them extensively (some contain a lot of content that I cannot afford to lose).

I have now connected it to my Macbook Pro via iTunes (12.2.1.16) and have been presented with two options:

1. "Set up as new iPad".

2. "Restore from backup"

Option 2 is a no go – the backups presented are old and irrelevant.

Will option 1 wipe all the content from my iPad? This is also not an option.

SO: How do I keep my iPad as is (with Apps and all content contained in each) but succesfully sync it with iTunes on my Macbook? Different threads offer conflicting answers to this question.

Any fresh advice please? Im using Yosemite (10.10.4)

Thanks in anticipation!

Ev

iPad Air 2 WiFi, Cellular, iOS 8.4

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 1:39 PM

6 replies

Aug 3, 2015 1:42 PM in response to evlewis

"New iPad" and "content" are opposites -- oxymoron.

Either you have a new iPad set up (with no non-Apple content), or you have a used iPad which has content. If that used iPad's contents has not been backed up, and you wish to restore the iPad's content, well, as happens when a non-backed up computer crashes, the result is ... data loss.

Aug 3, 2015 1:58 PM in response to sberman

Reading "new iPad" in the context of the rest of my post will reveal what I mean by "new iPad" ie, the way iTunes views it: "Set up as new iPad".

It is an iPad with content. But I dont want to erase it. Will Set up a New iPad erase it? Any ideas how I can keep all the content (an alternative backup route perhaps?) and still sync it with iTunes?

Many thanks

Ev

Aug 3, 2015 2:14 PM in response to evlewis

Try the instructions on this user-tip : Syncing to a "New" Computer or replacing a "crashed" Hard Drive

Some of the steps on that page have changed slightly (it was written for a previous version of iTunes) :

5, is now File > Devices > Transfer Purchases

6, 'Reset Warnings' at the bottom of the phone's Summary tab in iTunes

7, File > Devices > Back Up

8, File > Devices > Restore from Backup (or Restore Backup button on the Summary tab)

You could first copy photos off the iPad (just in case) : Import photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your Mac or Windows PC - Apple Support

And copy any important documents off (and back up to the cloud : Settings > iCloud > Backup)

Set up New iPad without erasing content – Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.