Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How does Apple expect us to burn a DVD without iDVD?

I've used iMovie '06, '09, and '11 to make movies and iDVD to successfully burn the actual disc for many years.

Imagine my dismay when I used iMovie 11 to make a cool movie and then found that I didn't have iDVD with it! Then I found that Apple had discontinued iDVD on purpose.

Does anyone out there know what Apple was thinking when they discontinued iDVD? More importantly, how the heck do they expect us to make DVDs without iDVD? Thanks for your help.

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.5), 1.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB 1333 Mz

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 4:02 PM

4 replies

Aug 3, 2015 4:27 PM in response to James Snedeker

James Snedeker wrote:

I've used iMovie '06, '09, and '11 to make movies and iDVD to successfully burn the actual disc for many years.

Imagine my dismay when I used iMovie 11 to make a cool movie and then found that I didn't have iDVD with it! Then I found that Apple had discontinued iDVD on purpose.

Does anyone out there know what Apple was thinking when they discontinued iDVD? More importantly, how the heck do they expect us to make DVDs without iDVD? Thanks for your help.

The answer is here:

Why is there no iDVD on my new Mac? How do I get it and how do I install it?

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3673

Aug 3, 2015 6:49 PM in response to James Snedeker

Thanks so much for these replies.

Now, I do have a desktop computer that has iDVD 7.1.2--it's what came with iMovie 9, which is the iMovie version on this desktop.

The long view is that I created this movie on my laptop's iMovie 11 (which doesn't have iDVD). So is it possible to move the project to my desktop computer and use its iDVD to burn the project?

I've successfully moved my project--an .m4V file--from my laptop to my desktop computer's desktop using a thumb drive. But I'm am not sure how to now actually get it into the desktop computer's iDVD. I tried simply clicking and dragging the project into iDVD but it didn't seem to work right. I also tried to create a new project in iMovie 9 and import the iMovie 11 project as a new event, but the project was greyed out.

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

How does Apple expect us to burn a DVD without iDVD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.