Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos for Mac lacking features

Why is there no ability to create events? Why is Photos not compatible with old Quicktime movies I created 10 years ago? Yes folks I have a HUGE photo library and iPhoto can read all my photos dating back to 2003 and MOST of the old Quicktime movies cameras created in those days, but Photos can read ZERO old movies. Why? Is there a fix? Photos is still in its infancy so I plan to switch when the app gets better. What say you?

MacBook, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 2:54 PM

3 replies

Aug 3, 2015 3:19 PM in response to jwolf6589

Moments in Photos are the new Events, i.e. groupings of photos sorted by date taken.

When the iPhoto Library was first migrated to Photos there is a folder created in the sidebar titled iPhoto Events and all migrated iPhoto Events (which are now Moments) are represented by an album in that folder. To open the sidebar if it's not already open use the Option+Command+S key combination.

NOTE: It's been reported by several users that if the Event albums are moved out of the iPhoto Library folder in the sidebar they may disappear. It's not widespread but several users have reported that issue. Therefore, if you want to assure that you keep those Event albums don't move them outside the iPhoto Events folder.

There's a way to simulate events in Photos.

When new photos are imported into the Photos library go to the Last Import smart album, select all the photos and use the File New Album menu option or use the key combination Command+N. Name it as desired. It will appear just above the iPhoto Events folder where you can drag it into the iPhoto Events folder

When you click on the iPhoto Events folder you'll get a simulated iPhoto Events window.

The downside to the simulation is that the Albums/Events can only be sorted automatically by Title. But they can also be sorted manually, either in the sidebar or in the folder's window at the right. This will change with the release of Photos 2 with El Capitan this fall. That will allow the sorting by date or title, ascending or descending.

Tell Apple what missing features you'd like restored or new features added in Photos via Apple-Photos Feedback.

For more differences between iPhoto and Photos see this user tip: Photos 2.0 vs iPhoto 9.6.1: Features and Capabilities

User uploaded file

Aug 3, 2015 3:30 PM in response to Old Toad

Thank you so much this was a very helpful post. I think for the moment I am going to sit out Photos until the app improves. Its only on 1.x and has a long way to go before it gets to be any good. I am just finding too many missing features that are in iPhoto that I use. iPhoto is missing the ability to import a PDF but its not like I ever will use that feature. The only feature I wish iPhoto had is the ability to send photos via airdrop but besides this I am just not seeing much in Photos at this time.

Photos for Mac lacking features

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.