Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't leave files in place in FCPX 10.2.1

I just moved to fcpx for a documentary, I have over 2.5TB of footage from more than 5 different cameras. It is all organized in a conventional files system (master, name of the day of shots, name of the camera, name of the card and finally my media) and when I try to leave files in place it just doesnt allow me to, i need to move my media in a more near root folder to be able to!!!! But i can't just put 2.5TB of footage in the same folder it is going to take me months to put everything back together in fcpx. Is there something to do to really leave the files in place?

Thanks

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), FCPX

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 1:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 1:45 PM

IF the media is in a camera folder structure then the media cannot be left in place. The application assumes that camera media, either from a camera card or from a camera archive, has to be separate from the working media for safety.

4 replies

Aug 4, 2015 12:56 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Tom Wolsky wrote:

IF the media is in a camera folder structure then the media cannot be left in place. ..

A few words - and on the point!

And media without a camera folder structure don't allow to set in/out points......

... would be nice, if some sort of meta-tag in the files ("I'm a copy, no need to copy me again!"/"I look like a solid file, but I'm actually a video!" ) overcome this limitations ... And, yes, I'm aware of the tool VCC ... 😉

Aug 4, 2015 3:42 AM in response to Karsten Schlüter

Karsten Schlüter wrote:

Tom Wolsky wrote:

IF the media is in a camera folder structure then the media cannot be left in place. ..

A few words - and on the point!

And media without a camera folder structure don't allow to set in/out points......

... would be nice, if some sort of meta-tag in the files ("I'm a copy, no need to copy me again!"/"I look like a solid file, but I'm actually a video!" ) overcome this limitations ... And, yes, I'm aware of the tool VCC ... 😉

I just save the entire folder from my camera. Trash the videos and photo. Drop (any) videos and photos into the folders. FCP see this as if the videos and photos came from a camera. Doing this I can edit the video 'ins' and 'outs' before import into FCP. Saves HD/library space and if for someone reason a filter is add to the a video. FPC don't have to process the entire video (original) footage.

I can't leave files in place in FCPX 10.2.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.