Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm seeing a foreign Airport Express in my AirPort Utility

Hi there 🙂

I've just moved to a new apartment and have connected my Time Machine directly to the wall. My time capsule is called Andreas' Time Capsule, and as shown below I've got two separate AirPort Express devices connected to that, which I use to play music wirelessly in the living room and bed room.

All devices are password secured.

The weird thing is I see a foreign device "Aleandro's AirPort Express" as well... and he's showing up in my AirPlay list on my iPhone also. I'm probably showing up in his as well, since the living room speakers started playing some music I definitely wasn't broadcasting to them, a few days ago.

How is this possible?

Thanks

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 2:18 PM

3 replies

Aug 3, 2015 2:30 PM in response to fendertender

Because your ISP is not isolating you .. and is giving you all a private IP from the same pool.

If you click on the foreign Express I am sure you cannot actually access it.. since it is password protected same is yours won't be accessible without the password.

There is nothing you can do about it as long as you use the cheap and nasty building internet.. if it worries you order your own broadband connection.

And make sure your password is solid.

Aug 4, 2015 4:09 PM in response to LaPastenague

Thanks for your reply 🙂

In my experience the cheap internet in the building is both faster, (cheaper obviously) and more reliable than the connections I've had from the big companies here in Denmark.

You're right his AirPort Express is password protected... and so is mine - and I believe it's very solid 🙂

It still seems really strange to me that he shows up in my Airplay-list... and even stranger that he is able to play music through my Airport Expresses... 😕

I'm seeing a foreign Airport Express in my AirPort Utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.