Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 12.2 not loading music library.

So I opened up iTunes for the first time since it upgraded to 12.2 to update my iPhone 5 and noticed that none of my music was in iTunes. I've tried If you don't see your content after updating iTunes - Apple Support, but it didn't help. I'm at a lose right now because all of my music is on my computer, but I can't play any of it through iTunes. Any ideas?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 5:25 PM

11 replies

Aug 3, 2015 10:20 PM in response to StndIbnz

Back up all data.

As a test, please move the iTunes library folder from the Music folder (or wherever you keep it in your home folder) to the Desktop. If you've moved the library folder to another volume, unmount the volume.

Quit and relaunch the application. It may prompt you to create a new library, or to select an existing one. Create a new one and import a few tracks. Test.

After testing, quit again and put the original library back where it was, replacing the test library. Post your results.

Aug 4, 2015 4:09 AM in response to Linc Davis

I keep my iTunes folder in users\shared\iTunes to use it across both accounts on my computer.

I dragged the iTunes folder out of shared and put it on my desktop, then opened iTunes. Nothing popped up, and when I opened up Preferences iTunes had already found the new location of the iTunes folder as users\desktop.

I also tried just dragging the .itl file out and putting that on the desktop. iTunes created a new .itl file, but still nothing. The only music that shows up is what I have bought in iTunes, nothing that is still saved on my computer.

Aug 4, 2015 5:43 PM in response to Linc Davis

Hi - I'm kind of jumping into this forum hoping for some help. I have also been away from this computer for awhile, and it is running Yosemite 10.10.4 on my iMac (early 2009) 2.66, intel core 2 duo -- running itunes 12.2.1.16 all my music appears to be in itunes - but when I try to play something, nothing happens. some of the menus i get a jumping sort of thing, but mainly nothing -- the counter doesn't play or show the head moving. itunes radio works, as does youtube etc, so it's not a system problem. any tips? Thank you. Bob

Aug 9, 2015 9:02 AM in response to StndIbnz

I have a problem which I assume is related to others described above. I have just got a new iMac, with OS X 10.10.4. I have iTunes 12.2.1, which I think was upgraded on to my old Mac on 16 July 2015. (That's the date on which it was last modified.) I was previously using an old (pre-2009) MacPro, with OS X 10.7.5. I transferred everything from my old Mac to the iMac from a back-up, as a direct connection between the two didn't work.

When I open iTunes by clicking on it, it shows a menu list in the menu bar (iTunes, File, Edit, View, Controls etc.) but virtually all the options under each of these heads are greyed out. (The only exceptions are "Quit iTunes", under iTunes, and "Start Dictation…" and "Emoji & Symbols" under Edit. All items in the Help menu are OK, though.)

If I click on a piece of music in my Music>iTunes>iTunes media>Music folder, the result is the same - i.e. with virtually everything greyed out. (This opens iTunes, if it wasn't already open.) That music plays. Then silence.

I tried opening iTunes while holding the Option key, as suggested in one of the postings above. iTunes apparently opened … but the result was getting nothing in the menu bar at all, except "iTunes", and even that had no options below it - not even greyed out. Clicking on a piece of music did not make it play. The only way to quit iTunes was to Force Quit it.

I tried creating a new ITunes Library.itl file, as suggested by Apple in its "If you don't see your content after updating iTunes" advice. This made no difference.

Other suggested solutions would be welcome!

P.S.: I just looked at the iTunes.app info, by clicking on Get Info in Finder. I saw an option to "Open in 32-bit mode". I tried that, to see if it made any difference. It did. When I opened iTunes with this checked, I got the same result as I got by clicking on a music file. That is, nothing in the menu bar except "iTunes" with no options below it. So I've unchecked it again.

Are the Sharing & Permissions privileges relevant? I have not tried to change them.

iTunes 12.2 not loading music library.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.