Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I back up my iPhone / iPad to my WD personal cloud.

I Have movies, music, photos on my iPhone, and iPad. Running out of space. How do I back up my media to my WDmycloud drive, to use and free up space on my devices. I am aware that I could use iCloud etc.... But prefer to use my personal 4 Terabyte cloud - iCloud is not large enough, and I don't want to pay for rental space on iCloud etc...

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 3:47 PM

6 replies

Aug 3, 2015 3:53 PM in response to Joe The Doctor

The only backups that you can use to restore to your device are iTunes or iCloud backups. Photos need to be imported to iPhoto.

Movies and Music, if purchased from iTunes can be re-downloaded from iTunes in the Cloud (which is not the same as iCloud - links to all purchases are stored in iTunes in the Cloud) as long as they are still available in the iTunes Store. There is a risk to not backing them up as they can be removed from the Store, so you should back your devices up.

Cheers,

GB

Aug 3, 2015 4:06 PM in response to Joe The Doctor

THank you very much Gail. Unfortunately i guess i need to be more specific. I have downloaded content from a web ( cite / sight ) , that allows me to keep their video on my idevices but i want to keep them permanently on my network drive which is enormously larger. I can access this drive from anyware i can use the internt. Unfortunately i cant keep these videos on my pad or phone without sacrificing space. For some reason ican't upload these videos from my phone or pad to this drive. I'm also afraid of loosing my apps i've purchased. Like Bento4 which i love on my ipad1 or 2 but is not the same on my phone. And ican't get for my ipad air or air2. The company no longer supports this app. Soooooo In reality i just want to keep what i like where i want safe and sound and usable, while freeing up ipad and iphone space.

THank you again.

How do I back up my iPhone / iPad to my WD personal cloud.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.