Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The speakers I've attached to my MC Book Pro are not working. But the music comes out of the computer

As of today, the outside speakers I've been using to play music thru my MAC BOOK PRO no longer work with t his computer. None of the speakers I've attached work. But when I unplug them, sound comes out of the computer. I don't know what to do. Would someone have an answer?

Thanks

Andy

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 4:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2015 11:51 AM

Hello there Andrew Halliday,

It sounds like you are connecting external speakers to your MacBook Pro but no sound comes out of them. I would first, and I know this sounds corny, make sure the volume is turned up:

Turn the volume up or down

To change your computer’s volume, click the Volume control User uploaded file in the menu bar, then drag the slider to adjust the volume.

If the Volume control isn’t in the menu bar, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Sound. Click Output, then select the “Show volume in menu bar” checkbox.

If it is, next I would reset the PRAM or NVRAM on your computer with these steps and then retest the issue:

How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on your Mac.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys immediately after you hear the startup sound.
  5. Hold these keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for a second time.
  6. Release the keys.

After resetting NVRAM, you may need to reconfigure settings for speaker volume, screen resolution, startup disk selection, and time zone information.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 5, 2015 11:51 AM in response to Andrew Halliday

Hello there Andrew Halliday,

It sounds like you are connecting external speakers to your MacBook Pro but no sound comes out of them. I would first, and I know this sounds corny, make sure the volume is turned up:

Turn the volume up or down

To change your computer’s volume, click the Volume control User uploaded file in the menu bar, then drag the slider to adjust the volume.

If the Volume control isn’t in the menu bar, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Sound. Click Output, then select the “Show volume in menu bar” checkbox.

If it is, next I would reset the PRAM or NVRAM on your computer with these steps and then retest the issue:

How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on your Mac.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys immediately after you hear the startup sound.
  5. Hold these keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for a second time.
  6. Release the keys.

After resetting NVRAM, you may need to reconfigure settings for speaker volume, screen resolution, startup disk selection, and time zone information.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Aug 5, 2015 11:53 AM in response to sterling r

Thank you so much for getting back to me. Yes, the volumes were turned up. And I even tried a second set of speakers. But had happened, and I have no idea how it happened... I went into SYSTEM PREFERENCES, and the speaker volume ( I think that's what it's called. I'm at work on a DELL ) had but set to MUTE. As I said I have no idea how that happened, since I hadn't opened SYSTEM PREFERENCES in quite a while. But now I know. And your answer was helpful.

Thank you!

Best,

Andy

The speakers I've attached to my MC Book Pro are not working. But the music comes out of the computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.