Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Rendering and Importing

First I would like to preface this, I have been working with FCP for about 3 yrs, I have Motion, Compressor and FCPX and it all runs on a slow Macbook. I have The Focal Easy Guide to FPC 2013, Motion 5 Apple Pro Training Series and Amazon Comprehensive Training for Final Cut ProX video on Lesson, in which I have watch many, many times. I have been reading on this site many back pages and over on fop.co too.

I have two primary area of interest, 1. I shot video for music when I play with the band, often with green screen. 2. As my videos have been watch by the “Family” i’m getting ask to take old videos from late 90s & early 2000s for the “Family Members. My questions are many about rendering and importing.

I did some testing with importing, I imported straight from the drive, Proxy and optimized. I imported just the raw file from the camera to a file, but Rick Young book says that “However, for other files codecs, such as AVCHD or H.264, it is advisable to transcode or optimize the footage, so FCP can work as trouble free way. This book my not be up to the current updates or I know the older computer will work better, is this still true about transcoding to this format.

Yes/No

I imported next using non check, proxy & opt, then proxy and optimize. All files were copy to a folder. FCP did not import these files as proxy or opt. However they are in the folders. Now I import in the those with those codecs, is this the way to bring those lager files into to FCP, and then delete out the others I don’t need.

Open for commit or explanation.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

This is about older video. Those codecs show there are 5 of them, with a file type MPEG-2, does this mean the this video has been edited five different time and the last one was exported as MPEG-2.

Yes/No

User uploaded file

Can I safety say that video filmed back in the 2000 is the way it is, base on the camera and software of the time. In other words the is nothing I can do in FCP to make it better. Some people think that if they give me this film that I have the ability to get in to HD 1080p and look as good as what is being produce today. FCP has many effects and looks but it is what it is. Even if I import with the highest pro-res and export out with the best pre-res possible.

Yes/No

Is there anyway to improve old video with Motion 5 or FCP that could restore the look, lets not say 1080p but put back the life in the video.

Open for commit or explanation.

Please answer to the bold face question

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 4:52 PM

1 reply

Rendering and Importing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.