Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SPAM-NADO! iPhone Mail app problem

The Mail app on my iPhone 6 has suddenly started getting a stream of what appear to be some kind of bot spam messages.

Most are showing up in the list view as

No Sender

No Subject

This message has no content

And they're dated 12/31/69.

Some of them messages have senders who I regularly correspond with, but the same "No Subject" and "This message has no content."

These messages don't appear only in my most recently received emails, but are scattered throughout my inbox among older messages that are still in the box.

I haven't opened any of these messages.

BTW, these messages DON"T show up in Mail on my desktop Mac -- only on my iPhone. I logged into iCloud and checked the webmail interface -- and did the same with GMail. No spam present in either of those, and all appears normal.

So it seems to be an IOS-only problem at this point.

Another oddity: when I click Edit in the IOS Mail app and try to delete a group of these messages, they can't be selected. They can be swipe-deleted individually, but that seems to bring even more new bogus messages.

Anybody know *** might be going on?

Help me, Obi-Woz Kenobi -- you're my only hope!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 6:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 6:05 PM

Switch to your sent folder and back to your inbox. That should fix it.

5 replies

Aug 3, 2015 6:13 PM in response to AJ397

I also remembered Roy Trenneman from "The IT Crowd"and his standard troubleshooting technique: "Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

One iPhone power-down and back up, and the Mail app is behaving normally again.

I'll add "Switch to your sent folder and back to your inbox" to my basic troubleshooting flowchart.

Hey wait a minute...

This isn't Roy Trenneman is it?

Just kidding. Thanks very much for the reply. Me so happy.

SPAM-NADO! iPhone Mail app problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.