Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Strange Adobe activity

Abode showed up on my dashboard. Did not open or prompt to upgrade. I closed by using launcher. Computer has slowed and tonight music started playing as I read as e-mailed. Has my Mac been hacked? What can I do?

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), iOS 8.4

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 5:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 5:35 PM

Best to rule out malware ...

Download and run Malwarebyyes Anti-Malware for Mac formerly known as AdwareMedic. It's free.

Make sure Mac App Store and identified developers is selected in System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General

If you would rather not download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, you can remove the malware manually following the instructions here > Remove unwanted adware that displays pop-up ads and graphics on your Mac - Apple Support

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 3, 2015 5:35 PM in response to RXREV

Best to rule out malware ...

Download and run Malwarebyyes Anti-Malware for Mac formerly known as AdwareMedic. It's free.

Make sure Mac App Store and identified developers is selected in System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General

If you would rather not download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, you can remove the malware manually following the instructions here > Remove unwanted adware that displays pop-up ads and graphics on your Mac - Apple Support

Aug 3, 2015 5:40 PM in response to RXREV

RXREV wrote:

Abode showed up on my dashboard. Did not open or prompt to upgrade. I closed by using launcher. Computer has slowed and tonight music started playing as I read as e-mailed. Has my Mac been hacked? What can I do?

Do you use the Acrobat reader? If you do and recently loaded adobe acrobat from a third party site you may have loaded a hacked version.

Never ever load Acrobat from a third party site.

Strange Adobe activity

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.