Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Garageband 10--how to delete drummer track...

...without deleting a region. I have a new MacBook Pro (mid-2015) and the new GB. I was working out a song on a piano track and was having trouble hearing the metronome when adding a rhythm track, so I added a drummer track before defining regions on the arrangement track. When I later defined appropriate regions on the arrangement track I deleted the drummer but it took the original piano track along with it, apparently as a region.

So the question is: how do you delete a drummer track without deleting anything else?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 4:56 PM

4 replies

Aug 3, 2015 11:34 PM in response to Songsmith1

I'm not sure I quite understand your description:

When you talk about a Drummer Track, do you mean that special Track that is created when you choose the Drum Kit in the New Track Dialog, or do you mean a Software Instrument Track that has a drum sound loaded and you record MIDI Regions on it?

You cannot delete a Track without deleting a Region. The Track is the "container" and the Region is the "content". If you throw away the container, the content will be gone too (unless you save the content first to a different container)

GarageBand only deletes what is selected.

• If a a Region is selected and you hit delete, then you delete that single Region.
  • If multiple Regions are selected, then all those Regions will be deleted.
  • If no Region is selected, then the selected Track is deleted. If there are Regions on that Track, then you will get a Dialog Window pops up first, asking you if you want to delete the Regions with the Track.

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich - LogicProGEM.com

(Author of the "Graphically Enhanced Manuals")

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

Aug 4, 2015 6:15 AM in response to EdgarRothermich

Hi Edgar -

I don't understand your answer. When I select a "track" I mean the long rectangle with the volume slider and the L-R dial. It was when selecting this "drummer track" that I found I could not delete it without deleting the piano track.

Sorry, but I guess I don't understand the difference between region and track. When did both my piano track and the drummer track get into the same region?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

Aug 7, 2015 1:32 PM in response to Songsmith1

Songsmith1 wrote:

Apple defines a region as the bubble shaped objects in a track

Where did you find that definition.

Tracks

When you create a new Track using the "New Track Dialog", you have the option to choose from three types of Tracks: Software Instrument Track, Audio Track, Drummer Track

User uploaded file

Tracks vs Regions

Here is a screenshot that shows the three types of Tracks with their own types of Regions placed on the Tracks (the Track Lane to be specific)

User uploaded file

BTW: When you select, all the Regions on the Track (to the right) are automatically selected.

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich - LogicProGEM.com

(Author of the "Graphically Enhanced Manuals")

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

Garageband 10--how to delete drummer track...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.