Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to permanently delete photos from iPhoto and Mac

Version OSX 10.9.5

I backed up all photos to my external hard drive and now I'd like to remove them permanently from my MacBook and clear up the 36G of space they are taking up.

Went into iPhoto, selected all photos and deleted them

Went into iPhoto>Trash and emptied it

Went to the System Trash and deleted the photos there

Found a copy of my iPhoto Library via Finder and deleted it.

Yet, somehow, the space has not cleared up on my Hard Drive. It still has exactly the same amount of available space as before I did all of that deleting and trash emptying. I have spent approx the past hour searching through forums on the internet, but have not found a solution that works.

Can anybody help me? Thank you in advance.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 3:52 PM

6 replies

Aug 3, 2015 11:58 PM in response to ajmc87

I've also searched for "File Type" > "Images" and yet there are only a handful of results, and not the 7k photos that I supposedly deleted.

So one search tells you one thing, and another tells you the opposite. Sound very much like an issue with Spotlight and not iPhoto. I'd ask on the forum for whatever version of the OS you have, Mention the two searches and their different results.

How to permanently delete photos from iPhoto and Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.