Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

need to reset to factory defaults

have to reactivate over and over. it searches for wifi and if driving phone will not work. told to plug into pc to iTunes but that does not work. have deleted account of previous owner (friend) and set up my own. use phone for phone texts, weather. NEVER download iTunes, videos etc.

iPhone 4S, iOS 8.3

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 4:49 PM

1 reply

Aug 5, 2015 11:46 AM in response to tthatcher7

Hi tthatcher7,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. Based on what you stated, it sounds like you have an iPhone that you want to restore to factory settings. I would recommend that you read this article, it may be able to help the issue.

Use iTunes to restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

Since the iPhone is from another person, make sure to check for Activation Lock.

Find My iPhone Activation Lock - Apple Support

How do I check for Activation Lock before purchasing a used device?

When purchasing an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from someone other than Apple or an authorized Apple reseller, it is up to you to ensure that the device has been erased and is no longer linked to the previous owner’s account.

You can check the current Activation Lock status of a device by visiting icloud.com/activationlock from any Mac or PC.

Or you can follow the steps below to make sure that you can use the device you purchase:

1. Turn the device on and slide to unlock.
  2. If the passcode lock screen or the Home screen appears, the device hasn't been erased. Ask the seller to completely erase the device by going to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings. Don't take ownership of any used iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch until it's been erased.
  3. Begin the device setup process.
  4. After choosing a language, choosing a country, and connecting to a network, the device will begin activation. If you're asked for the previous owner’s Apple ID and password, the device is still linked to their account. Hand the device back to the seller and ask them to enter their password. If the previous owner isn't present, they can remove the device from their account by signing in to icloud.com/find. Don't take ownership of any used iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch until it has been removed from the previous owner’s account.

You will know that a device is ready for you to use when you're asked to “Set up your iPhone," “Set up your iPad," or “Set up your iPod” during the device setup process.

Cheers

need to reset to factory defaults

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.