Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

needs constant rebooting

So, my mac has kind of always had this issue, but its recently been more of an inconvenience. Every now and then, maybe anywhere from 0-5 times a day, not every week, my applications crash, will not reopen, and force me to restart my computer. And sometimes my window begins to glitch up (I use google as my browser)( (i have a video of this, but am not able to attach it), which also forces me to restart my computer. A few months after I had bought my mac, it had a file missing which messed up the computer and forced me to restore to store purchases, this happened 2 times. This has not happened for a while now, but sometimes if I dont restart right away when I need to, a black screen comes up with a file and a question mark. I have 999.32 GBs of space left (I think, I only have 4 GBs, but the storage says 999.32) and I do not think the computers age is the issue, my sister has the same model, about a year older than mine and hers works perfectly fine. I have the latest version of Yosemite, and only use my computer to watch videos and play a few games, nothing that can have a virus attached to it.

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 6:00 PM

3 replies

Aug 3, 2015 6:05 PM in response to SarZar

Google is a search engine not a browser unless you are referring to the Chrome browser.

Click the Apple top left in your screen. From the drop down menu click About This Mac > More Info > Storage

Make sure there's at least 15% free disk space. OS X Tips Where did my Disk Space go?

See what's taking up storage space > OS X Tips The Storage Display

A question mark means your Mac cannot find a system folder to boot from.

If that happens again, startup your Mac while holidng down the Option key. From there you should see the Startup Manager window where you can select the startup disk v10.10 then click Restart.

Aug 3, 2015 7:49 PM in response to SarZar

The startup drive is failing, or there is some other internal hardware fault.

Back up all data on the drive immediately if you don't already have a current backup. There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional—ask if you need guidance.

Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service provider.

If privacy is a concern, erase the data partition(s) with the option to write zeros* (do this only if you have at least two complete, independent backups, and you know how to restore to an empty drive from any of them.) Don’t erase the recovery partition, if present.

Keeping your confidential data secure during hardware repair

Apple also recommends that you deauthorize a device in the iTunes Store before having it serviced.

*An SSD doesn't need to be zeroed.

needs constant rebooting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.