Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there any way to get Windows 10 on older Macbook Pro with Boot Camp

So I was getting ready to install windows 10 on my macbook pro 5,2 (early 2009) and when I went to install it, it said it does not support windows 8. I dont know why it said windows 8, but why do the older MBPs only run windows 7? I had windows 10 on parallels and it ran fine for the most part, I just dont like it running as an app. So is there anyway to get windows 10 on my macbook pro?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 5:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2017 1:54 PM

1.) Make sure you have a CD of windows 10 can easily be obtained by downloading the ISO at Download Windows 10 Disc Image (ISO File)

a.) Now put your disc in and to burn it use the following command in terminal. hdiutil burn (Drag the ISO you're going to burn into the terminal window) then hit enter. NOTE: To avoid disc burn fail please don't let your mac go to sleep and don't use any programs to keep it up.

2.) Once you have your disc burned with windows 10 go into bootcamp connect your USB and only check "Download Apple Support software" once that downloads on your USB stick we create the partition.

3.) Close bootcamp and go into "Disk Utility" Right over Macintosh HD (Your mac patition click the partitioner above it.) It should be called APPLE HDD or something near that for you.

4.) Click the partition button when you select APPLE HDD. Click the + symbol then chose the file size of the partition and format the partition as MS-DOS (FAT) then partition it.

5.) Once partitioned restart your mac and hold the option/alt key. NOTE: Make sure your installer disc is put in. When the disc has loaded in the boot menu click windows and run the installer. If you have no product key click "I don't have a product key" and chose between windows 10 Home and Pro (I recommend pro).

6.) When it you get the 2 options which are Upgrade and Custom (Advanced) Click Custom (Advanced).

7.) Select the partition you created for windows and click format. (If you don't see format show advanced options and you will see format.).

8.) Click next and let windows 10 install. once it installs and you're on the desktop you will need to install the drivers. Since windows 10 isn't supported by mac BOOTCAMP won't let you use the installer.

9.) To fix this go into downloads on windows and create a folder called BootCampDrivers

10.) Once you have done this drag all the files from the flash drive to the BootCampDrivers folder.

11.) Go into the search bar of windows applications and search cmd. Right click cmd and click run as administrator.

12.) Run this cmd command cd /Users/WINDOWS COMPUTER NAME YOU CHOSE/Downloads/BootCampDrivers/BootCamp/Drivers/Apple Once you have typed this command hit enter.

13.) Then run this command in cmd msiexec /i NAME OF BOOTCAMP INSTALLER and hit enter.

14.) To find name of Bootcamp installer click downloads> BootCampDrivers> Bootcamp> Drivers> Apple and see the name of the file with the bootcamp icon and type that name. then hit enter on that command.

15.) The bootcamp installer will show up. Run it and install all the drivers.

16.) Once the drivers install restart your computer and boot it into windows.

17.) Your display might be dimmed to fix this go into the windows application search bar and search power. Click power. Change the balanced power plan. Click advanced settings scroll down to display open that tab up. Open up the adaptive brightness tab and turn off adaptive brightness.

18.) Now windows is set up properly and you are free to do as you please.

19.) have a nice day.
<Edited by Host>

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 24, 2017 1:54 PM in response to Drummer829

1.) Make sure you have a CD of windows 10 can easily be obtained by downloading the ISO at Download Windows 10 Disc Image (ISO File)

a.) Now put your disc in and to burn it use the following command in terminal. hdiutil burn (Drag the ISO you're going to burn into the terminal window) then hit enter. NOTE: To avoid disc burn fail please don't let your mac go to sleep and don't use any programs to keep it up.

2.) Once you have your disc burned with windows 10 go into bootcamp connect your USB and only check "Download Apple Support software" once that downloads on your USB stick we create the partition.

3.) Close bootcamp and go into "Disk Utility" Right over Macintosh HD (Your mac patition click the partitioner above it.) It should be called APPLE HDD or something near that for you.

4.) Click the partition button when you select APPLE HDD. Click the + symbol then chose the file size of the partition and format the partition as MS-DOS (FAT) then partition it.

5.) Once partitioned restart your mac and hold the option/alt key. NOTE: Make sure your installer disc is put in. When the disc has loaded in the boot menu click windows and run the installer. If you have no product key click "I don't have a product key" and chose between windows 10 Home and Pro (I recommend pro).

6.) When it you get the 2 options which are Upgrade and Custom (Advanced) Click Custom (Advanced).

7.) Select the partition you created for windows and click format. (If you don't see format show advanced options and you will see format.).

8.) Click next and let windows 10 install. once it installs and you're on the desktop you will need to install the drivers. Since windows 10 isn't supported by mac BOOTCAMP won't let you use the installer.

9.) To fix this go into downloads on windows and create a folder called BootCampDrivers

10.) Once you have done this drag all the files from the flash drive to the BootCampDrivers folder.

11.) Go into the search bar of windows applications and search cmd. Right click cmd and click run as administrator.

12.) Run this cmd command cd /Users/WINDOWS COMPUTER NAME YOU CHOSE/Downloads/BootCampDrivers/BootCamp/Drivers/Apple Once you have typed this command hit enter.

13.) Then run this command in cmd msiexec /i NAME OF BOOTCAMP INSTALLER and hit enter.

14.) To find name of Bootcamp installer click downloads> BootCampDrivers> Bootcamp> Drivers> Apple and see the name of the file with the bootcamp icon and type that name. then hit enter on that command.

15.) The bootcamp installer will show up. Run it and install all the drivers.

16.) Once the drivers install restart your computer and boot it into windows.

17.) Your display might be dimmed to fix this go into the windows application search bar and search power. Click power. Change the balanced power plan. Click advanced settings scroll down to display open that tab up. Open up the adaptive brightness tab and turn off adaptive brightness.

18.) Now windows is set up properly and you are free to do as you please.

19.) have a nice day.
<Edited by Host>

Aug 3, 2015 5:51 PM in response to Drummer829

Here are the system requirements for running Windows using Boot Camp. Look for your computer model and year and the table will show you which versions of Windows are supported.

Of course Windows 10 ran in Parallels. When running in Parallels Windows does not need any hardware drivers and does not use your hardware except the reserved ram you allocate to Windows. All virtual machines create virtual hardware.

Aug 4, 2015 4:26 PM in response to Drummer829

Drummer829 wrote:

Kind of stupid how apple restricts what windows OS you can install. I just looked up the requirements for windows 10 and my machine is more than capable to run it

Your machine might be capable but the software to support Windows 10 on your computer is not available. So why wouldn't Apple restrict installation of an operating system that has no drivers for Apple hardware?

Is there any way to get Windows 10 on older Macbook Pro with Boot Camp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.