Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacMini 2006 Kernel Panic with Obligatory ShutDown

The computer recently had some troubleshooting, sometimes the thing couldn't find the OS, with some commands (Alt key) and with/without a backup on a USB it would work… somewhat fine. But recently it had the so called Kernel Panic, the problem is, in less than a second when the details pop out, the computer demands an obligatory restart, so quite literally I can't do anything. I tried the USB, the installation Disc, all the commands, and from time to time it would just not find the OS or any information, so… if someone knows about the issue, please help. Oh, also, "Mac OS: Not Yet Set", just for the record.

Mac mini, Mac OS 9.2.x

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 6:06 PM

4 replies

Aug 4, 2015 1:28 AM in response to SGamer12

What model Mini?

What OSX version? Is it really 9.2?

Try resetting the SMC and NVRAM/PRAM

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

What exactly happens when you try booting from an installation disk?

Make sure you disconnected all peripherals except mouse, KB and monitor

- If still not successful that usually indicates a hardware problem and an appointment at the Genius Bar of an Apple store is in order.

Apple Retail Store - Genius Bar

Aug 4, 2015 9:36 AM in response to lllaass

Model: The box reads "No. A1176"

OSX: I remembered somewhere between 9 and 10, I really never remembered that, but the installation disk reads 10.4.7, should have checked that out earlier.

I really haven´t tried to reset the SMC... because I literally can`t, the computer boots up, for a split second shows a "?" folder, then the Apple logo, then the Kernel Panic details, and it´s immediately covered by that dark grey rectangle with a multi-language legend that tells me to hold the Power Button to reset.

With an installation disk, exactly the same, lately at least, a few days ago it would just eject it for no real reason.

Already got the peripherals out.

Well, Apple Genius it is, then, I guess, thanks for the help Illaass, it´s really appreciated

Aug 4, 2015 9:48 AM in response to SGamer12

You have either

an early 2006

Late 2006, or mid 2007 Mini

Apple identified all three as A1176

The early 2006 came with 10.4.5 and can go as high as 10.6.8

the late 2006 came with 10.4.7 and also can go as high as 10.6.8

The mid 2007 came with 1-.4.0 and can go as high as 10.7.5

Since you have the same problem when booting from install DVD I would try running Apple hardware test . For your model you have to boot from one of the install DVDs. See:

Using Apple Hardware Test

Or you can go to the Genius Bar without doing the tests

MacMini 2006 Kernel Panic with Obligatory ShutDown

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.