Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Mac will not connect to the internet at work, when I try the connection says timed out. How can I use my computer at work if the network does not support mac?

My Mac will not connect to the internet at my work, when I try it tells me timed out. My boss said the server does not support macs, however thats hard to believe. Any suggestions on what to do?

MacBook, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 7:28 PM

1 reply

Aug 3, 2015 8:10 PM in response to Jmtruax

Most likely, the company's access to the Internet is through a proxy service. You would need to know what this service requires to properly set up your Mac to be able to access the Internet when connected to their network. I suggest that you start by contacting your company's IT department for assistance.

Once you have this information, you would use System Preferences > Network to enter the proper settings. I would suggest that you create a new Network Location just for work and create another for non-work locations.

Specifically you want to enter the proxy information in either the Ethernet or Wi-Fi settings, depending on how you connect to your work's network. Then go to Advanced > Proxies tab.

User uploaded file

My Mac will not connect to the internet at work, when I try the connection says timed out. How can I use my computer at work if the network does not support mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.