Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4s: Water damage, still works but cannot be restored to backup/occasionally stuck in recovery mode?

Hello,

I recently dropped my iPhone 4s into the toilet two days ago. Immediately took it out and dried it, the screen still lit up and was working fine with the exception of the home button (there's a crack in the glass leading to the home button, maybe water reached there and did not get out). When I got home around ten minutes later I used it regularly, however when it ran out of battery it shut off, so I plugged it in and it went into recovery mode. When I would try to shut it off, it would turn back on again.

When I plugged it into my computer while it was in recovery mode, iTunes requested that I update the phone. if it doesn't work then I must restore it. So, I plugged it in and downloaded the update, iTunes said that it couldn't update and I would have to restore it. So, I try restoring/resetting it through iTunes and it doesn't work. This is a continuous cycle, so I stop and just hold the lock button/volume up button to reset it.

When the phone turns on it's working perfectly fine... It only seems to go into recovery mode when it runs out of battery/when I plug it into iTunes and try to restore/update it. When I plugged it into iTunes again, it recognized my device so I was able to create a new backup file. I leave it in a closed bag of rice just in case, overnight.

The next day, I take it out and plug it in again. I attempt to update and restore my phone just in case. The phone updates to the new iOS and is reset, however the backup did not work? The backup message said that "because the backup was corrupt or is not compatible with the iPhone that is being restored".

I unplug my phone, turn it on through lock screen/volume up button because it went into recovery mode after that message, it's asking me to set it up because I updated and reset it. I set it up as if it were a new phone, try to restore from backup so I plug it back into my computer again. My phone still vibrates, has service and connects to wifi. All of my content was erased and I have the new iOS. iTunes recognizes it as a brand new phone, so I try to back it up and the backup bar goes about halfway until I get the same message. iTunes asks me to update and restore it again. Again, the continuous cycle of the backup message and recovery mode, so eventually I give up, eject phone and do lock screen/volume up button.

When I turn the phone back on, I have some of my old voicemails and all of my apps are back except they're greyed out and not downloaded? I do not have my old messages, contacts, notes, calendar. I am able to operate the phone, even turn it off without it going into recovery mode. It's working perfectly fine, however I have not left it to run until it runs out of battery, so I don't know how my phone would react with that.

Every time I try to restore it from backup, I get the same message and the phone goes into recovery mode.

I have shut my phone off and left it in rice ever since, in hopes of my backup somehow working a few days later.

I'm wondering if the backup somehow went halfway and stopped? I do not think the backup is corrupt, as I have tried a program called "Wondershare Dr. Fone for iOS" and it is showing all of my phone content perfectly fine.

Hopefully someone can help with a solution to this problem? I just need all of my content back on the phone again... I don't know if my phone is permanently damaged either. I don't really know what action to take now... Please help!

iPhone 4S

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 8:24 PM

3 replies

Aug 3, 2015 8:48 PM in response to drivetothestars

Technically it is not working fine, since you cannot get a backup to work. If you tried backing it up after the water damage, you have probably corrupted the backup. If you backed it up before and it won't read it now, then the device is toast. It is permanently damaged all right. Water and electronics don't mix. Keeping it in rice just slows it down sometimes. It does not always work. And it isn't a matter of if the device will fail, it is when. Your time is very short with this device. You need to replace it. The only other option, don't use the backup and suffer through the month or so that you are waiting for with the device in the condition it is in, if it lasts that long, which I doubt that it will. I've seen and responded to too many of these things.

iPhone 4s: Water damage, still works but cannot be restored to backup/occasionally stuck in recovery mode?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.