Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Apogee GIO with MainStage 3.1.1

I'm trying to use GIO to do things like mute a bus send, go to the next patch/previous patch, etc. For the first problem, muting a bus, the problem is pretty obvious: when I press a button on the GIO, it sends a 127 on whatever controller it's assigned to (e.g., the rightmost stomp button is set to MIDI Controller No. 29). When you release the button, it sends a 0. So if I press the button, it mutes the bus, as it's set to. But as soon as I release the button, it un-mutes the bus. It's like MainStage doesn't understand a latching controller.

Is there some way to get MainStage to mute (or toggle some other parameter) when it sees a 127, and then toggle again when it sees another 127? There has to be a way to make it work this way; otherwise MIDI control messages become worthless.

Also, whenever I use the "Next" or "Previous" buttons on the GIO, instead of moving forward or backward one patch, it moves two patches, which is basically the same problem. This seems fairly global, and as I recall versions prior to 3.1 did not display this behavior.

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 6:53 PM

1 reply

Aug 7, 2015 2:55 PM in response to ericmurphysf

I'm not sure if no one else knows what the problem is, or if everyone knows what the solution is and thinks it's bloody obvious, but I eventually figured it out a few days ago.

The trick is to set the hardware input type from "Absolute" (the default, for continuous controllers like a mod wheel or an expression pedal) to ""Press/Release," which works for a momentary (non-latching) hardware controls like a foot-switch. This solves both the muting/toggling issue, and the next/previous patch issue.

Using Apogee GIO with MainStage 3.1.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.